Circle.so vs Discourse

Can you share more details about your critique of Circle?

I haven’t tried Circle myself, but I’ve seen the marketing and had considered it as a future platform for my community.

Thanks!

1 Like

haven’t used circle but I will say that discourse really calls for some technical aptitude for successful implementation. it’s not particularly great as an out of the box solution. that said, the community is great and discourse is damn good once you dial it in.

4 Likes

Just my opinion. Circle.so is open source? For example, I need maximum control. Own servers, script, own base. Everything must be controlled.

And the question is about reworking the script. Let’s say I want to do something new. Change the kernel. Is it possible there?

Plus, for example, I know examples when adequate communities located somewhere, not under control, are simply closed. Example, Facebook. It’s a good social network, but what will I do if they decide to just shut down my community. Why? And it doesn’t really matter. Politics, not getting enough sleep, bad mood, personal dislike when I wrote a couple of nasty things about Facebook, whatever.

That is why I need (I can only speak for myself) control. So Circle.so is open source?

2 Likes

Can’t even find an open demo without registering so I will pass on reviewing, but the videos/screenshots look like a copy of Facebook’s layout.

1 Like

In the case of Discourse, self-hosting is far from the only option though, right?

Does Circle offer a self-hosting option? If not that’s one extra potential benefit of going the Discourse route, no?

If it does is it any less technical to navigate?

3 Likes

I don’t see any self-hosting options for Circle.so, nor anything that even suggests it is open source. Everything on their website is geared toward buying one of their 3 paid plans.

Discourse is the King in community software forest.

2 Likes

I did a free trial of Circle. I do think it’s interesting and has a lot of potential, but it feels very immature and sort of like an Uncanny Valley version of Facebook. For the time being, it seems to lack basic features like the ability to delete or mute personal messages.

There’s very little customization/flexibility, at least compared to Discourse, which makes me think it would probably appeal to someone whose priority is to get a community “up and running” as quickly and painlessly as possible but would be suffocating to those of us who like to tinker. Also yeah, no self-hosted option.

4 Likes

the community is nuts. I’ve tinkered with so many forum options and this community is remarkably helpful. With the rare exception being the occasional know-it-all who thinks my questions are dumb.

4 Likes

This is my community I might not be able to do this as I want. If no discourse. Website building has become a work of art. When we use discourse.

7 Likes

Great looking site! Now if I only understood Thai. :smiley:

7 Likes

Is a tweetstorm rude? I am thinking of creating one to compare and contrast discourse vs circe.so.

My qualifications:

• I used circle.so intensively for five weeks.
  • I converted a yahoo group into a Discourse community (it was very difficult)

Going from Discourse to Circle.So was a profoundly frustrating experience.

The CEO of Circle.so was one of the founders of Teachable. There are lot of creators being funneled into circle by teachable. The strategy is create a course and then create a circle community around it. I have take a few course that have gone this route.

I don’t have an axe to grind with the circle.so developers, but for a product just out of beta I think the product has a long way to go before it ready for prime time. It is missing many core features I’ve grown to expect in a “modern discussion platform.” I think the advertising and testimonials are way over-hyping the product.

I have a list of at least 20 reasons why I think a creator or community builder should pause before choosing circle.so.

4 Likes

Regardless of the exact form, I would appreciate it if you could share some in depth details! :+1:

3 Likes

Well, here goes:

7 Likes