RSS Polling setting to use pubDate to set the date of imported topics

What would you like done?

A patch for RSS Polling that sets the date of imported posts to the corresponding pubDate values in the RSS feed. Even better if there is a setting to set the topic creation to pubDate or “now” (current behavior). Tested with archive.org and ivoox.com.

RSS Polling is wonderful but it also causes a lot of tedious manual work when we activate a new feed, because the dates of the posts need to be changed manually. We are talking about importing feeds with hundreds of posts.

When do you need it done?

As soon as possible. We can use a fork of RSS Polling, with the hope that the Discourse team will like the implementation and eventually merge the patch.

What is your budget, in $ USD that you can offer for this task?

I can’t estimate the cost but if you send me a ballpark or rough estimate, I will answer quickly. This missing feature is costing me hours of tedious work in my hobby time. I value my hours, and yours too. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Just a note to say that a developer reached out, and we hope to share good news soon.

2 Likes

@RGJ worked very fast and very effectively, and yesterday I successfully tested GitHub - communiteq/discourse-rss-polling.

This version provides a rss_polling_use_pubdate setting, which is disabled by default (in this case behaving just like Discourse’s official plugin). If you enable it, the topics are created with a date following the pubDate value in the RSS feed entries. Just what I needed!

If you want to try it, you need to add this plugin AND remove the official one. Your existing RSS feeds will remain untouched (no need to create them again). When you are done testing, you can leave it or switch back to the official. The DISCLAIMER about this is free software, use at your own risk, etc, applies here. :slight_smile:

Tested on iVoox.com and Archive.org. I haven’t tested it on WordPress yet, but it should work for any RSS feed following the protocol.

The tests:

This topic is resolved for me. I hope the Discourse team likes the patch and integrates it in the official release. Meanwhile, I have left this version running on our Discourse.

5 Likes

…aaand the WordPress test has been successful as well:

Barrio Canino - Podkasts.org (almost 300 entries)

1 Like

Can you share some screen shots?

The only visual difference with the stock RSS Polling is the setting rss polling use pubdate.

If you need a screenshot of something else, let me know.

1 Like

That looks good but was more referring to a feed it has polled showing pubdate.

Awesome feature. Another that would be good as well to have one that starts polling from a set start date.

Above I have shared three links to three real categories filled with hundreds of posts imported respecting their publication date and going several years back. I didn’t edit a single date, it was all done by the improved plugin automatically.

1 Like

I will try your links you shared again as the first one I tried didn’t seem to take me to the category.

Think I understand. It sets the forum post date to match the pubdate?

I had thought it might add date to title. But that is much better as the rss plugin seems to pull all posts.

1 Like

I have checked the links and the three are correct. Yes, all the posts you see there are imported. In the stock version, all of them would appear as published yesterday / on Monday. Using the improved version, the publication date corresponds to the RSS feed’s pubdate.

This saves humongous amounts of time for people using the RSS Polling plugin to import not just current posts but also the history of posts of a website.

1 Like

The pull request was approved three days ago! :tada:

Can someone explain what needs to happen next to have this PR merged, please? I mean, what’s the usual process. Just curious.

2 Likes

Brilliant, thanks for sponsoring this!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.