Ruby mysql2 error on migration

Hi guys,

I’m trying to ue the vanilla_mysql.rb importer script to migrate my shitty forum to the awesome discourse platform. :slight_smile: However, when I execute the commands this happens:

root@discourse-app:/var/www/discourse# gem install mysql2 --platform=ruby
Building native extensions. This could take a while…
Successfully installed mysql2-0.4.6
1 gem installed

root@discourse-app:/var/www/discourse# bundle exec ruby script/import_scripts/vanilla_mysql.rb
script/import_scripts/vanilla_mysql.rb:1:in require': cannot load such file -- mysql2 (LoadError) from script/import_scripts/vanilla_mysql.rb:1:in
root@discourse-app:/var/www/discourse#

What am I doing wrong / how can I fix it? :frowning: I’m using the default docker container on a clean ubuntu 16.04 vps.

Try this inside the docker container:

apt-get update && DEBIAN_FRONTEND=noninteractive apt-get install -y libmysqlclient-dev
su discourse -c 'export IMPORT=1; bundle install --no-deployment --without test --without development --path vendor/bundle'
su discourse -c 'export IMPORT=1; bundle exec ruby script/import_scripts/vanilla_mysql.rb'
4 Likes

Thanks for your reply. Here is a short version of my output:

**root@discourse-app:/var/www/discourse#: su discourse -c 'export IMPORT=1; bundle install --no-deployment --without test --without development --path vendor/bundle'**
[[....]]
An error occurred while installing mysql2 (0.4.6), and Bundler cannot
continue.
Make sure that `gem install mysql2 -v '0.4.6'` succeeds before bundling.

**root@discourse-app:/var/www/discourse#: exec ruby script/import_scripts/vanilla_mysql.rb'**                               Could not find gem 'mysql2' in any of the gem sources listed in your Gemfile.
Run `bundle install` to install missing gems.

**root@discourse-app:/var/www/discourse#: bundle install**
[[....]]
Bundle complete! 96 Gemfile dependencies, 175 gems now installed.
Gems in the group development were not installed.
Bundled gems are installed into ./vendor/bundle.

**root@discourse-app:/var/www/discourse#: su discourse -c 'export IMPORT=1; bundle exec ruby script/import_scripts/vanilla_mysql.rb'**                               Could not find gem 'mysql2' in any of the gem sources listed in your Gemfile.
Run `bundle install` to install missing gems.

:confused:

You need to install a dependency for it to work. I guess it’s missing.

apt-get update && DEBIAN_FRONTEND=noninteractive apt-get install -y libmysqlclient-dev
4 Likes

Thank you so mutch Gerhard! :slight_smile: It worked, I owe you.

3 Likes

Hi

I am facing this same situation but I am having trouble issuing these su discourse -c commands, they ask me for a password. I don’t think I created this user, it comes with the Docker container, so how do I get its password? Or how do I avoid being asked for one?

Thanks!

Is this a development install, an install from the standard guide, or something else?

If it’s from the standard guide you shouldn’t be prompted for a password when using su discourse -c from within the container.

1 Like

Thanks, your confirmation that I “shouldn’t be prompted” sent me searching again, this time in a slightly different direction…

And I solved it! I was using a scripted command to enter the container that had slightly different options than the standard ./launcher enter app. One of them (maybe the absence of the --login option?) was causing this difference in behavior.

Anyway I am going to make sure I always use ./launcher going forward, there’s lots of stuff in there. Once again, thanks for your answer.

Another tip that might be useful for anyone else coming into this thread:

Using that command given above with IMPORT=1 will trigger this part of your Gemfile:

if ENV["IMPORT"] == "1"
  gem 'mysql2'
  gem 'redcarpet'
  gem 'sqlite3', '~> 1.3.13'
  gem 'ruby-bbcode-to-md', github: 'nlalonde/ruby-bbcode-to-md'
  gem 'reverse_markdown'
  gem 'tiny_tds'
end

I ran into problems with the installation of tiny_tds, and then with another thing it depends on called FreeTDS. After some wasted time on this I realized these are useful only for MS SQL imports, which I won’t be using, so I simply commented out the tiny_tds line in my Gemfile.

(it would be nice to have a comment in front of each of those packages saying what they are used for, if anyone knows)

2 Likes

Hi. I’m having the same trouble here when running this script but those commands are not helping… This is the output I get when trying to run the su discourse -c 'export IMPORT=1; bundle exec ruby script/import_scripts/vanilla_mysql.rb':

root@ip-xxx-xx-xx-xx-app:/var/www/discourse# su discourse -c 'export IMPORT=1; bundle exec ruby script/import_scripts/snuffhouse.rb'
You are trying to install in deployment mode after changing
your Gemfile. Run `bundle install` elsewhere and add the
updated Gemfile.lock to version control.

If this is a development machine, remove the /var/www/discourse/Gemfile freeze
by running `bundle config unset deployment`.

The list of sources changed
The dependencies in your gemfile changed

You have added to the Gemfile:
* mysql2
* redcarpet
* sqlite3 (~> 1.3, >= 1.3.13)
* ruby-bbcode-to-md
* reverse_markdown
* tiny_tds
* csv

Hiya, I’ve got this sorted and forgot to reply here. The thing is, I was trying to run a migration script for a forum that uses mysql and facing some errors. But I just followed the following steps and it has worked fine:

• Inside of your docker-machine where Discourse is running:
# Enter the project directory
cd /var/www/discourse

# Install MySQL deps
apt-get update && DEBIAN_FRONTEND=noninteractive apt-get install -y libmariadb-dev

# Install MySQL gems (export = 1)
su discourse -c 'export IMPORT=1; bundle install'

# Run your script (vanilla_mysql in this case)
su discourse -c 'export IMPORT=1; bundle exec ruby script/import_scripts/vanilla_mysql.rb'

I’ve just done this in a new machine that I had to pull up and it worked as fine.