Running Discourse on Azure Web Sites vs. Azure VM?

(Tim F) #1

I’m already running (and paying for) a site using Azure Web Sites and want to know if anyone has been able to set up Discourse on Web Sites (the fully managed platform) as opposed to an Azure VM. I’d rather not pay for an extra VM when I have the ability to spin up another web site on the managed side of things for no cost. Thanks.

(Ben T) #2

Ruby is not supported by this service. Since even java is not supported, it will be nearly impossible to get discourse running… unless you re-wrote it in a language they support.

(Matthew Rowan) #3

Now that Java in Web Apps (formerly Websites) is available, is running Discourse on the managed platform now a possibility?

(Sam Saffron) #4

Unlikely, we do not work under JRuby at the moment + there is a mountain of dependencies

Why not use Docker?

(Ben T) #5

I know that azure (and by extension Microsoft) is moving into the docker space, where containers can be setup on a scaling interface.

http://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/articles/virtual-machines-docker-with-portal/

It won’t be easy to deploy directly to using the building script, but could be an interesting deployment method overall.

(Erlend Sogge Heggen) #6

The “Azure Container Service” is now official: