Running Discourse on Docker for Mac

docker-sync user here :raised_hand:

Essentially, I created a modified version of bin/docker/boot_dev to start the container in detached mode with the docker-sync'ed volumes, so the rest of the Discourse bin/docker scripts would still work.

This is how I structured everything.

|-- src/
|-- docker-sync.yml
|-- up
|-- down

src/ is the cloned Discourse git repo.

up is the aforementioned modified boot_dev script, to docker-sync start and start the docker container; down stops docker-sync and the docker container.

My `docker-sync.yml`
version: "2"

options:
  verbose: true
syncs:
  discourse-sync:
    src: './src'
    sync_userid: '1000'
    sync_groupid: '1000'
    sync_excludes: ['tmp/cache', '.DS_Store', '._*', 'data/postgres*', 'log/development.log']
  postgres-sync:
    src: './src/data/postgres'
    sync_userid: '107'
    sync_groupid: '112'

Critical snippet in `up`
docker-sync start

docker run -d -p 1080:1080 -p 3000:3000 \
 --volumes-from discourse-sync \
 --volumes-from postgres-sync \
 -v "postgres-sync:/shared/postgres_data:nocopy" \
 -v "discourse-sync:/src:nocopy" \
 -e BUNDLE_PATH=/src/vendor/bundle \
 --hostname=discourse \
 --name=discourse_dev \
 --restart=always \
 discourse/discourse_dev:release /sbin/boot

I kinda forgot why I have two separate sync’ed volumes: one for the database and another for the source code.

Never got around to perfect the script since it just works :sweat_smile: Lemme know if you’ve any questions!

6 Likes

Thanks! @xrav3nz! That was very helpful :slight_smile:

I think I’m very close to getting it to work.

Here’s what I did:

1. Used your docker-sync.yml, put it in the directory containing my app directory.
  2. Duplicated the boot_dev script and replaced the docker run -d... line with the content in your second snippet. Saved it as up in the same directory as the docker-sync file.
  3. My app directory is named discourse, so I replaced src with discourse in both of the snippets.
  4. Ran ./up in the directory containing the up file.
  5. Docker-sync and Docker start

How do I start rails? I tested running ./up --init which fails with this error:

Installing gems...
./up: line 47: /Users/jt/app/bundle: No such file or directory

On that line it attempts to run "${SCRIPTPATH}/bundle" install so it is not registering as a regular “bundle install”

If I run ./bin/docker/rails s it now fails too saying that I’m not doing the command correctly:

Usage:
  rails new APP_PATH [options]

I’m sure I’m just missing a small puzzle piece here :smiley: Thanks again :slight_smile:

Since up is not in the bin/docker directory with the rest of the scripts, $SCRIPT_PATH is incorrect and thus $SCRIPT_PATH/bundle does not exist.

The easiest fix would be to only start docker-sync and the docker containers in up, and run the rest of the scripts separately.

For example,

$ ./up

# this is the initialization process in `boot_dev --init`
$ discourse/d/bundle install
$ discourse/d/rake db:migrate
$ discourse/d/rake admin:create

$ discourse/d/rails s

I hope it works this time, let me know how it goes.

4 Likes

Thanks! :slight_smile:

Running discourse/d/bundle install in the directory containing discourse says:
Could not locate Gemfile

Running discourse/d/rails s gives the same error as in my previous post.

discourse/d/bundle install --gemfile=/discourse/Gemfile seems to work…

Hmmm :thinking: interesting…

In up:

docker run -d -p 1080:1080 -p 3000:3000 \
 --volumes-from discourse-sync \
 --volumes-from postgres-sync \
 -v "postgres-sync:/shared/postgres_data:nocopy" \
 -v "discourse-sync:/src:nocopy" \
 -e BUNDLE_PATH=/src/vendor/bundle \
 --hostname=discourse \
 --name=discourse_dev \
 --restart=always \
 discourse/discourse_dev:release /sbin/boot

Did you replace the src in -v "discourse-sync:/src:nocopy" to discourse as well? This src refers to the directory in the container. Sorry if my folder names are a bit confusing…

Yes, I did :slight_smile: Is there anything else that has been changed in the up file?

I was trying to say that -v "discourse-sync:/src:nocopy" should not be changed, otherwise the source code would be mounted to a different directory in the container. This explains why neither rails nor bundler could find the source code. :man_facepalming:

2 Likes

D’oh :wink: Brilliant, thank you! Having this up and running makes dev work so much easier! :slight_smile:

I owe you a :beer:

1 Like

Be sure to do a PR to discourse making this config optional so we both document and make switches for it.

6 Likes

So I had it working for a few minutes. Then I noticed that files weren’t actually syncing after making changes. Figured I’d try a docker-sync clean and do the whole thing again. I do the same steps we just went through, but again, I get the Gemfile not found message. However, this time I haven’t renamed src to discourse. :crazy_face: Not sure what is happening here.

I’ve even tried renaming the discourse folder to src to match your code exactly, but it still won’t work.

Is there a way to check if the source code is mounted to the right directory?

Is there a way to check if the source code is mounted to the right directory?

d/shell into the container and check manually? docker-sync on macOS is not quite stable (judging from its GitHub issues), but I’ve rarely had problems myself.

I added the docker-sync related functionalities to Discourse and pushed it to a branch on my fork:
xrav3nz:dev/docker-sync. Would you like to try it out instead? docker-sync is integrated into boot_dev and shutdown_dev, and all the existing docker scripts should continue to work.

I’ll PR the changes into core if everything looks good for the next few days.

5 Likes

Nice! Unfortuntely, even on your branch I get “Could not locate Gemfile” :confused:

in /discourse: $ ./bin/docker/boot_dev --init
Using source in: /Users/jorgen/Dropbox/Design/2018/discourse
Using data in:   /Users/jorgen/Dropbox/Design/2018/discourse/data/postgres
          ok  Starting native_osx for sync discourse-sync
discourse-sync
unison: stopped
unison: started
     success  Sync container started
          ok  Starting native_osx for sync postgres-sync
postgres-sync
unison: stopped
unison: **ERROR (spawn error)**
     success  Sync container started
     success  Starting Docker-Sync in the background
2fb1ebd82c77cb705b96c10069e5ec5970b8aa13417390114a34461f00237f48
Installing gems...
Could not locate Gemfile

There is a “spawn error” near the end there…not sure if that has anything to do with it.

Could you try d/shutdown_dev && docker-sync clean && rm .docker-sync/daemon.log && d/boot_dev, and PM me the content of .docker-sync/daemon.log? Please do not add the --init option just yet, since that will obfuscate the log.

2 Likes

Ah, I had forgotten to do a docker-sync clean after switching to your code, it seems to work as it should now :slight_smile: Thanks again :smiley:

4 Likes

Sorry but I am having trouble understanding the setup process to get Discourse working locally with Docker for Mac. I’m not that great with Docker yet, so bear with me.

The first thing I did was run:
docker pull discourse/base:release

That downloads fine. Then I create a container by running:
docker run --discourse -d discourse/base:release

What’s the next thing I want to do after that?

I see the instructions here:
https://github.com/discourse/discourse/blob/master/docs/INSTALL-cloud.md

I can’t do docker exec -it discourse /bin/bash because the container doesn’t stay running after I run it.

Thanks for the assistance!

Hi @xrav3nz - thanks for doing this work. I find macOS/Docker/Discourse runs very slowly compared to Linux/Docker/Discourse

I tried using your branch but got the following on `d/boot_dev --init`: pg_dump: [archiver] could not open output file "/src/db/structure.sql": Permission denied Any recommendations?

Update - it appears to have worked after retrying the boot_dev command. Unsure what caused the original problem.

4 Likes

TL;DR: the Docker for Mac delegated/cached volume mount is consistently ~3x faster now, and much more stable than docker-sync. I’d be happy to PR a change when I’m sure this does not introduce new problems.

I’ve been running into more and more problems with docker-sync lately. Unfortunately, I don’t understand enough of it to figure out what exactly is wrong. :disappointed:

I tried out the different mount options from Sam’s post a year ago,

• docker-sync

❯ /usr/bin/time d/rails r 'puts'
    2.71 real         0.07 user         0.02 sys
    3.11 real         0.07 user         0.02 sys
    2.99 real         0.07 user         0.02 sys

• default (consistent) i.e. -v "$SOURCE_DIR:/src"

13.74 real         0.06 user         0.01 sys
    13.73 real         0.06 user         0.01 sys
    14.44 real         0.06 user         0.01 sys

• delegated i.e. -v "$SOURCE_DIR:/src:delegated"

4.77 real         0.07 user         0.01 sys
    5.39 real         0.06 user         0.07 sys
    4.86 real         0.06 user         0.01 sys

I have been using the delegated mount for the past two weeks, and have yet to ran into any problems. Even though docker-sync is still the most performant, delegated/cached is stable and consistent, and it’s already fast enough (~3x faster than the default) for me (running tests and localhost).

8 Likes

Sure send through a pr, looks great

1 Like

That’s great news!

I tried to get docker-sync working but struggled. Having another option comes as a relief!