ScaleWay review?

The forum https://forum.jef.eu with very few traffic is currently hosted on Scaleway (https://www.scaleway.com/pricing/). With VAT, that’s 3.59 EUR and comes with a 50GB SSD.

Scaleway is cool, although a bit slow. Good package for the money. There were some time-out issues with rebuilds, but I beleive the devs have increased the time-out perioids after these findings.

I have a multi-site with two discourse installations running on Scaleway and rebuilds have not been an issue so far.

2 Likes

ScaleWay has added new interesting product options to their portfolio. Their Intensive workload plans are most interesting, for example:

X64-15GB
€24.99/mo
€0.05/hour
6 X86 64bit Cores
15GB memory
250Mbit/s Unmetered

Edit: And they deliver.

CPU model:  Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU D-1531 @ 2.20GHz
Number of cores: 6
CPU frequency:  2199.992 MHz
Total amount of RAM: 15019 MB
Total amount of swap:  MB
System uptime:   11 min,       
I/O speed:  294 MB/s
Bzip 25MB: 4.59s
Download 100MB file: 103MB/s

One of the faster single core performance tests measured (4.59 secs)!

2 Likes

Yes, me.

I’ve been running my small community Discourse site on Scaleway for a few months on their x86_64, the €2.99 a month deal. Recommended, but see below…

Great stability and performance, but yes, it took me a day or so to figure out and disable the default SMTP block! :sweat_smile:

Cons: they don’t yet do two-factor authentication for access to their website. They promise it as a forthcoming improvement. Much needed imho - what is the point of secure SSH support if you leave a gaping vulnerability in the web admin console?! The mischief some might get up to … :grin:

Another issue is the lack of DNS configuration. After a great experience on (the more expensive but more fully featured) Linode I was disappointed by Scaleway’s lack of a good tool. I was forced to use my domain name providers tool which was clunky to say the least and required a workaround for dealing with SMTP and subdomain: my site emails are configured to be sent by the primary domain since I wasnt able to fully validate the subdomain with the mail server using the limited tool I had.

2 Likes

Update:

Scaleway has added two-factor authentication, I’m pleased to say.

Site has been rock solid since last post, no issues.

1 Like

Terrible hosting! I registered on this hosting and created vps. Ip address my vps was blocked in my country. great! Address change is refused and blocked my account… wonderful!!! Do not use from them servers.

Are you in Russia by any chances? If so, then it’s your government’s fault :wink:

More information available here

11 Likes

So the price difference makes sense…

Scaleway now offering 1-Core/1GB x86 with 20 GB storage for €1.99/month … things are really getting competitive in this space!

(I ought to ask them for commission :wink: )

Just upgraded my server to their new NVMe Cloud Servers on Atom Core 3 (a free upgrade for some existing customers):

Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU C3955 @ 2.10GHz

(2-Core/2GB x86)

And my websites are being served in a blink, very good!

4 Likes

Scaleway is inexpensive and fast, is my impression. Any thoughts about the storage? They have no redundancy, no RAID, see for example:

… I’m assuming in your case (Merefield) it’s okay to lose half a day’s worth of discussions (average time to most recent backup?), if the SSD disk breaks? Which makes sense I suppose :- ) I mean it’s just comments, not money transactions or a car that crashes or sth like that.

Anyway, everyone here talks only about CPU speed and RAM :- ) Maybe [the lack of RAID and safe rendundant storage] is something that’d be good for other people to know about, who maybe assumed Scaleway was like DO etc. (DO has redundant storage). Here someone wonders “do people not realize?”.

3 Likes

Correct, I don’t rely on their back-ups, only those on S3 in that situation. It wouldn’t be a total disaster for us. Total disaster would be no back-up within last month or so. But yes, I back-up to S3 daily.

But you bring up an important area of potential distinction.

Glad to report that in coming up to 2 years(?) of using them I’ve not had any failures and at one point the servers had been up for > 200 days (probably not wise, admittedly)

2 Likes

This link is to the attached storage volumes. It’s not the local storage that comes with the default installation. Attached volumes are external to the VM and highly redundant (replicated accross racks). The local storage that comes with the VM is RAID protected nonetheless.

3 Likes