Scary warning message when running ./launcher cleanup

I just have to point out that this warning message is very scary if one does not deeply understand how discourse works. At the very least, there should be a message above that basically mentions to what This refers so you know that it’s (probably) ok to continue!

WARNING! This will remove:
- all stopped containers
- all networks not used by at least one container
- all images without at least one container associated to them
- all build cache
Are you sure you want to continue? [y/N] y

1 Like

I have had the same reaction. It is hard to not worry that something terrible might happen, if you are not experienced. For example, if my container is not running for some reason will it delete my whole forum?

That message comes from Docker and not from Discourse.

8 Likes

But the action is being triggered as part of a Discourse upgrade so perhaps Discourse should still display a message to let one know what’s going on.

That message should be scary IMO - the user may be running other containers or have other images which they may want.

We could perhaps add something like "If Discourse is the ONLY thing on this server, this is probably safe.

8 Likes

Indeed – this is the problem of Discourse being the “forward facing” application. Even though the actual problems are elsewhere, users just know about Discourse so everything they see is attributed to Discourse.
I have the same problem with an application I support - even though crashes are generally due to faulty 3rd party add-ons, it looks like our application broke so we have to be very clear as to what’s going on.
Anything you can do to help the non-sophisticated user understand what’s going on will be much appreciated, I’m sure.