Screen jumps with AdSense responsive ads

I’ll try to summarize what’s happening here… :confounded:

I posted about this in another topic here, so please read:

Digging deeper, I tried using CSS to add dimensions to the container where responsive ads should be rendered in between ad posts. One example:

.adsense-post-bottom.adsense-responsive {
  height: 100px; // no taller than this pretty please
}

But… this happens:

I can’t find anything in the ad plugin or in core discourse that is adding these inline !IMPORTANT styles, so it looks like the adsense js has chosen the nuclear option and really wants to impose arbitrary heights on the container. So auto !important everything!

So it looks like AdSense has made it impossible. Options now are:

1. Remove “responsive” as a size option from the AdSense plugin (fallback to 728x90 desktop, 300x250 mobile for those who are using the responsive size currently).
  2. Remove “responsive” only for between-posts placements (even though the jumping happens in all placements).
  3. Write a topic here on meta about the problem, allow people to keep using “responsive”, and link to it in the description of all AdSense size settings.
  4. The “auto !important” is coming from the ad plugin or core discourse and I can’t find it?

EDIT:

Maybe I understand this suggestion now:

So you’d need to be able to select “responsive” and then set the max width and max height in the plugin settings.

Closing this topic and will continue in this one:

6 Likes