SCSS color property variable headaches

Can some knowledgeable code guru explain why this seems to always throw an error (regardless of the settings.yaml file contents):

.d-header {
    background: rgba($header_color, $transparency);
}

but this does not?

.d-header {
    background: rgba(darkslategrey, 0.5);
}

Even if I switch the code to use $header_color in the rgb(47, 79, 79) format, it always give me an error related to a $color element. :thinking:

1 Like

This works for me?

$header_color: rgb(0,0,0);
$transparency: 0.5;

.d-header {
    background: rgba($header_color, $transparency);
}
1 Like

Yes but as soon as I put the variables into a settings.yml like this, it does not work for me. I get an error saying $color is not a color even though I am not using a $color variable here. So I assume it may be related to an interpolation thing that I don’t understand.

header_color:
  type: string
  default: ""
  description: 
    en: "..."

transparency:
  type: string
  default: ""
  description: 
    en: "..."

In my mind, it seems like this is about how the CSS is compiled. the variables work when declared at the CSS run time, but not dynamically via separate settings.yml file. :thinking:

this doesn’t work either:

.d-header {
    background: rgba(#{$header_color}, #{$transparency});
}
1 Like

Hi Lilly!

I stumble upon the same issue not so long ago. :smile:

Short answer: Themes and CSS variables are considered strings and, while you can use them in attributes such as color, background, border and so on, they can’t be used in SCSS color functions.

The issue is not related to Discourse:

There’s an overcomplicated way to circumvent this I didn’t try: Unquote not working on colour string · Issue #3006 · sass/sass · GitHub

4 Likes

Hello Lilly :wave:

You have to create variables from these to make it workable in setting. :slightly_smiling_face:

Here is a quick example:

3 Likes

That’s awesome, thank you @Don :slight_smile:

3 Likes

It’s not the first time I say “it’s not possible” and you come like “yes it is”, Don :smile:

probably not the last time as well :see_no_evil:

7 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.