Searching All Messages as an Administrator

I had someone tell me some fishy stuff going on in some PM’s, but I do NOT know who is doing it. As an Admin, I’m trying to find it. I can’t search all the messages in our community can I? Other than clicking a whole bunch of names and trying to find the perp?

1 Like

If you know a bit of the PM’s content, you can use Data Explorer and do SQL queries: Data Explorer Plugin

1 Like

Do you have keywords to search for? Something like this seems like a “show me the last 25-50-75 PMs” situation, perhaps?

2 Likes

Yea that would work. I do have some keywords, but it could also be hard to find just by keyword. Hence a * search too.

1 Like

I suggest looking at the PMs of the most recently active users to start with: /admin/users/list/active

Beyond that, a Data Explorer query would be fairly simple to construct since you are limiting your view to PM body text, ordered by time descending.

2 Likes

Can you elaborate on fishy stuff? Is this high volume messaging? Inappropriate content? Off-site links?

It’s far easier to help you cast a net if we know what you’re trying to catch.

3 Likes

Thanks for all the help this is what makes this product truly unique and great. Will let you know how it goes.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Note we now have in:all-pms for this feature:

https://github.com/discourse/discourse/pull/11280

7 Likes