Seeking Best Practices for Finding Talent to Develop a Highly Customized Discourse Site

Hi all,
I’m working on designing a website that, at it’s foundation, will leverage the vast majority of existing forum functionality (i.e. being able to create threads, post comments/replies, liking, etc. etc.) but also require some pretty extreme modifications and new functionality. For example, I’d like to add an entirely new section below the first post in each thread where users can answer a survey and upload documents into different categories (that’s intentionally vague, as this isn’t a request for a specific solution to this concept).

I was able to follow enough online tutorials to get a basic Discourse website up and running, but building the custom functionality is well beyond my abilities.

So, assuming using Discourse as the foundation of my site is the correct move to start with, my question is:

In situations where a lot of complicated, new front and backend functionality is needed, does anyone have recommended approaches on finding talent to get this developed?

Additional Thoughts:

• Even after having created extensive mockups and wireframes, is it realistic to expect an individual on Upwork to be able to build a highly customized Discourse based website?
  • If so, does anyone have any first hand experience/tips/individuals they would recommend?
  • If not, and this is more of a task for a development agency/team who has more bandwidth and technical expertise (and obviously be more expensive), is there anyone you’ve worked with and would recommend (or not recommend)? Maybe there’s a Go-To discourse development group people use? Or again any general tips?

Bonus Question: Does anyone have examples of existing website that are Discourse based, but have been extensively modified?

Obviously the best approach is going to be based specifically on what I need, but I’m looking for other people’s general experiences/thoughts on the topic if possible.

Thanks! :+1:

1 Like

Talk to the team at Pavillion – they are trusted partners with extensive Discourse knowledge.

We have hundreds of examples of heavily customised sites but without more of an understanding of what kinds of customisations you mean, it’s hard to know what is relevant to share.

3 Likes