Send bulk users invite with a link?

Hi guys,

It’s possible to send bulk users invites through a link?
instead of the guests receiving an invitation in your email?

Thank you

Yes, it is possible to generate invite links as described here:

1 Like

But to install this plugin do I have to have a separate instance of Discourse? Because we are in the cloud version.

Do you know about it?

1 Like

@tophee with this plugin can I generate one link for lot of users? Or will generate one link per person?

1 Like

On our hosting, the Invite Tokens plugin is available on the Business plan. It is not available on the Standard plan.

3 Likes

No. This comes up several times a year. There is no way to have an invite link that can be used by more than one user.

The use case is that you want a community to be mostly private, but having a URL that you can show on a slide at a conference and let people join is an acceptable level of privacy for the community. The easiest option is to allow anyone to sign up with “approve all users”, include a custom field with a secret word (e.g,. “myconference 2020”) and then just manually approve everyone who includes the secret word.

After considering this problem for 4 years, it has just occurred to me that a plugin that would auto-approve people who used the secret word may be the best solution to this problem.

4 Likes

How can I do it @pfaffman?

1 Like

My idea is that everyone that I want to invite (60 people) has the best experience possible. Since I cannot put the site in public, I was thinking, instead of invite for email, send a unique link to everyone that they can register and access directly the community, without approval. There’s a way to define a secret word and everyone that puts this word is it automatically approved?

1 Like

If you already know all their email addresses, why not use just the regular bulk-invite feature?

1 Like

Because we are already going to send an invitation email for the product to these people, instead of sending the product invitation + invitation to the community (two emails), I wanted to send just one email with the link for the community + the invite for the product.

1 Like

Only with a plugin that I just conceived, isn’t written, and you can’t use on your current hosting plan anyway.

I think your options are manual approval or two emails.

3 Likes

If you are manually sending the invites to the product, you could create the invite link for each email address on Discourse by selecting the ‘Copy Invite Link’ option when you create an invite:

The link that you copy could be added to your product invite.

5 Likes

Don’t forget to click “Make your invite a little bit more personal by writing a custom message.” It would be more personal than the standard message.

1 Like

A new update, I could not get invite link like photo.
Do you have any suggestion?

1 Like

From your image, it looks like both the Send Invite and Copy Invite Link buttons are disabled. I would expect the Copy Invite Link button to be disabled, because you have added a custom message to the form. Here’s what I see when I try entering similar values on my site:

Do you get this error every time you try it? Are you trying to invite new users to a protected category? If so, are you an admin on the site?

3 Likes

FYI: I entered one of my email addresses, clicked Copy Invite Link and it did copy to my clipboard. I canceled (closed) the Send Invite box. When I went to my Dashboard and checked for invites, there was indeed an invitation ready to be be sent. I canceled it.
So when I clicked “Copy invite link”, the “Send” button also activated. :thinking:

1 Like

Yes, I am an admin.
Your reply with specified email, but I would like to get a link and share it to invite.

1 Like

Try not adding a custom message. When I click the “custom message” link on my site, it toggles the “Copy Invite Link” button between enabled and disabled:

If that’s not working on your site, can you let us know what version of Discourse your site is on?

I just tested this on my local development site. Clicking the “Copy Invite Link” button does show the invite at the top of my sent invites list, but I’m fairly sure it doesn’t trigger sending an invite email to the user.

I think there is a UI problem here. The list you see on your /invited/pending page is all the invites that you have created that are pending, but the UI makes it seem that it’s a list of all the invites that you’ve sent out as emails. Clicking the “Remove” button next to an invite that you’ve copied the link for will remove the invite from the database. The user will not be able to redeem it.

2 Likes

Okay, that would explain my seeing it there. Hadn’t thought about a generated link being set in the db. (I had no intent of inviting another “me” anyway. :slightly_smiling_face:)

3 Likes

Yes, my discourse updated latest edition.
You replies are correct, but it is not like the last edition, I only get link for user freely join group without specified email.
Now, I can not do like this.

2 Likes