Set category notification state historically

Bumping this feature request in light of the fact that I just now realized this is why some of my users weren’t getting notifications:

I wonder if instead of burdening the user with a choice regarding Watching all previous topics, if this couldn’t be a decision for the Forum admin? I presume that one of the reasons for having it only Watch new posts for users is performance related on large forums.

Maybe the admin could set an option that when the Watch option was selected on a category it also sets the user to Watch any topics that are NN days old. To simplify both the coding and the admin of the feature, I would be fine if it was a global setting and not a per category setting. So the UI drop down in those cases would read:

You will automatically watch all new topics in these categories and any topics that are NN days old. You will be notified of all new posts and topics, and a count of new replies will appear for these topics.

It seems to me that this could help more quickly on-board users into conversations as well. So they wouldn’t feel “left out” by not getting notifications on more recent topics that had active conversations they might want to participate in.

1 Like