Urgent: help troubleshoot missing notifications for watched categories

I guess I was the idiot that thought the answer to this question would be Yes. Even though I’ll admit that the label clearly says otherwise:

You will automatically watch all new topics in these categories. You will be notified of all new posts and topics, and a count of new replies will appear for these topics.

So for our low volume list, I guess our options are:

• Put the user account in mailing list mode (Send me an email for every new post (unless I mute the topic or category))
  • Not likely to happen because this group is only truly interested in about 1/10th of the traffic happening on the site and it would be a lot of muting
  • Set all topics in the category to auto-close within XX days so that folks can’t reply to old posts forcing them to create new posts so that any new users watching the category will get properly notified
  • Our most viable option, though since many of them send in replies via email, I’m sure it will lead to some confusion when their messages are bounced back due to a closed thread
  • Have new users go into each topic in a category and watch any topics they might be interested in
  • Probably not feasible because although we’re low volume, we still have a couple of hundred topics in there

Of course this issue just happens to be manifesting itself with the category that our C-level folks use for their mailing list which makes troubleshooting and suggesting workarounds a bit of a delicate tap dance.

@tobiaseigen does my scenario sound similar to what was happening with your users?