Set up image uploads to Google Cloud Storage

Do you want to use Google Storage for your image uploads? Here are the steps:

• Set a default Google project if you don’t have one.

• Get a developer key.

• Create a bucket by going here. Enter a unique name and select a default storage class (I used multi-regional within the US).

Now we need to configure the Discourse instance. Go to settings, and add a filter for S3. Then make the changes below:

• Check the “ enable s3 backups ” checkbox if you want to activate manual or automated backups

• Enter the desired bucket name created above in “ s3 backup bucket ” if enable s3 backups is checked

• Paste in both “ Access Key ID ” and “ Secret Access Key ” in their respective text fields (these were generated when the developer key was created)

• In s3_endpoint , paste in the below endpoint:

• https://storage.googleapis.com

That’s it! Try uploading an image - it should all work magically :slightly_smiling_face:

To ‘serve’ images directly from your domain, follow the steps below:

• Make sure your bucket is accessible publicly. It needs to set up using object level permissions though

• Set up a load balancer if you don’t already have one. For the backend, create a backend bucket, point it to the storage bucket created above, enable CDN, and connect it

• For the URL map, create two rules. Hosts for both need to be *; paths need to be /original/* and /optimized/*; and the backend needs to point to the backend bucket - save the settings

• In Discourse settings, change the s3 cdn url to your domain - make sure this ties in with how your load balancer rule has been set up

That’s it - the images should now come from www.yourdomain.com/

Issues to be worked:

• Backups - Uploading backups to a storage bucket is causing issues - will have a look at some point
11 Likes

@akbarnoorani are you referring to storing images or backups? Images are okay but I run into issues with backups.

If you are storing backups, you should make your buckets private.

3 Likes

Hi, Google Cloud Storage is free?
Thanks,
Deb

Would this be a better option than storing photos on my DigitalOcean droplet?

A CDN is usually preferred for all but the smallest communities.

3 Likes