Showcased Categories

Hi, can you post an example? Thank you.

1 Like

Sorry, new to theme editing. Does this mean I have to duplicate the component to be able to edit the colors? Is there another way to pull up the HTML/CSS?

1 Like

Sure!

To change the height of the topic-list items you would target this:

.custom-homepage-columns .topic-list .main-link { height: ??? }

Other than this though, the minimum allowed to show is 1 and the max is 5.

2 Likes

Understandable!

You do not need to duplicate the component in order to customize the look of this theme component.

Here’s what you will need to do:

1. Navigate to /admin/customize/themes and click on components
  2. Click on install then create new and make sure you select component, you can name it whatever you wish!

It will then appear in the unused components area:

You will then need to enable it on your currently selected theme on this same page:

Once that is done you can click edit CSS/HTML

From there, you can add the customization css on the commoncss tab. You can add the code I shared earlier in there.

.custom-homepage-columns .header-wrapper { 
    background-color: `your color here`;
}
3 Likes

Thank you! Seems so simple now :man_facepalming:

2 Likes

Hey guys! The idea with different showcased categories based on group membership is exactly what I am looking for. And when a user is in multiple groups which have showcased categories configured, the TC could go by the primary group of the user.

In my case we have private categories for advertisement clients. We are looking for a way to display their individual category on top of the home page. That way they don’t have to dig through the forum to search for it.

3 Likes

Hey guys @jordan-vidrine I do not see this component working for me… alongside the discourse Air theme.
Here are my settings.

But I do not see a sidebar… and I am assuming because of the search bar I can not have this in the banner section.

2 Likes

did you ever find the fix for this?? I am using the Air theme

2 Likes

Hey @jordan-vidrine

do you accept PRs for this component? I would like to hire a dev to add the feature that I mentioned before:

4 Likes

I have this exact use case in my forum. The users will be using primarily one category (one type for each type of primary group each user belongs to), so it will be more practical for them to see their primary category at the top, but to see the others is important too since interaction between different categories is paramount (this is a political forum, and one of it’s purposes is to promote consensus between different political lines).
(not demanding anything here, of course, but if it’s possible to implement such a feature, I think it would add a lot of value!)

2 Likes

Ah… currently the sidebar version of that component does not work properly with the Air theme. I will look into this a bit more to see if I can get it looking right.

2 Likes

Ahh thank you! It looks like it may be a margins issue

2 Likes

This should now be fixed on the latest update to the air theme If you update your theme things should work properly now for the showcased categories with sidebar enabled.

1 Like

One idea could be maybe according to primary group.

2 Likes

Hi is that the option to have groups option?

1 Like

Ah no, sorry this was a mistake on my part. This is actually in reference to a different component that a PR was made for.

2 Likes

Cool which component if I may ask?

2 Likes
3 Likes

Awesome thank you. :beers::sunglasses::+1::sparkles:

3 Likes

Firstly, I wanted to say I really enjoy this component. I think it works well, and displays excellently.

The only thing I would like is if the feed titles were also clickable to go to the category in question. At the moment a user needs to click more. We used some customer mouse behaviour tracking, and found that frequently a user would click the title, then in some instances bypass the more altogether to the more default category title cards

If the category text were clickable and redirectable (optionally) this would solve this user flow.

4 Likes