Sidebar topic list links prefer unread and new over latest

This is a hot topic!

I wonder where it will go in the end.

So… At first, I was finding very confusing that clicking on Everything (same for the category shortcuts) led to New instead of Latest.

But as I said on the other topic,

After using the sidebar for a while and being used to the New view links from the sidebar, I ended by liking more this than a Latest link.

And now, I’m confused that it leads to Latest. I don’t have anymore an always visible New shortcut (whether if it’s “all topics” or particular categories) when I’m reading a topic, I have to go to a topic list page and then click on New. I quickly went, in a matter of days, fond of the default New navigation page. :sweat_smile:

I acknowledge many issues raised on this topic, it’s quite a complicated subject. I personally have no solution for this instead than another user setting… Which may lead to a fair point by @Jagster on a totally different topic:

From a user’s point of view, Discourse shines, among other things, by its simplicity. Of course, regular users probably won’t even go into their own settings to tweak stuff…

But I, as sort of a “power user”, I’m sometimes very much repelled by the number of settings available in my profile on some platforms.
I don’t want to open 10 preferences pages with 20 settings on each to customize my experience. It reminds me of older forum engines where “more” was equal to “better”.

2 Likes