Site being raided with images due to default TL1

our site is being raided with NSFW images, I’ve banned each user’s IP multiple times.
any way to stop this without putting the site on lockdown?

1 Like

Hello!

What trust level are the users? If they are new change this setting newuser max images to 0

Additionally, change silence new user sensitivity To high. You can also make it so you can approve posts until user is member?

5 Likes

Every new user is set on trust level 1 to enable PMs.

2 Likes

I recommend you set it to TL0 to prevent spam. The default settings are there to.protect your users from such instances.

6 Likes

do you know of any way to enforce so the user has to read a certain amount of topics before gaining access

2 Likes

Just type TL1 into your site settings and see values.

2 Likes

Good suggestions, making it more difficult to get TL1 is a good strategy. I think it’s most ideal also. Another strategy is to use the ‘approve post count’ option, so that the first x amount of posts from a new user need to be approved.

If the problem is limited to some specific categories you can also use the individual category settings ‘Require moderator approval of all new topics’ and ‘Require moderator approval of all new replies’.

The only issue with the solutions that send topics and posts directly to the review queue is that the raiders won’t be limited by any or most of your rate limiting settings. So they can really flood your review queue.

2 Likes

That is true but I would rather have 20 red notifications on my hamburger icon that 20 publicly inappropriate posts.

4 Likes

Setting TL1 to the default trust level for new users was a big risk, and highly not recommended.

5 Likes