Solution for privateemail configurations

several users tried to configure Discourse with privateemail without luck including me. you can read more about this problem here “Can't get admin email to send working with using namecheap email server”. but after a month of investigations, i finally found the solution.

the main problem was the “from” field
discourse by default use noreply@yourdomain.com for notification emails but privateemail SMTP server needs the mail address of the mailbox you have.

there is no why to solve this issue while installation @codinghorror so after installation you have to re-open containers/app.yml file and make the following adjustments.

SMTP Configurations

DISCOURSE_SMTP_ADDRESS: mail.privateemail.com
  DISCOURSE_SMTP_PORT: 587
  DISCOURSE_SMTP_USER_NAME: mailBox@yourdomain.com
  DISCOURSE_SMTP_PASSWORD: "****************"
  #DISCOURSE_SMTP_ENABLE_START_TLS: true          # (optional, default true)

1- use port 587
2- use your mailbox address instead of mailBox@yourdomain.com
3- uncomment DISCOURSE_SMTP_ENABLE_START_TLS and set it to true

Notification E-Mails Configurations

At the end of the file you would find

## Any custom commands to run after building
run:
  - exec: echo "Beginning of custom commands"
  ## If you want to set the 'From' email address for your first registration, uncomment and change:
  ## After getting the first signup email, re-comment the line. It only needs to run once.
  #- exec: rails r "SiteSetting.notification_email='mailBox@yourdomain.com'"
  - exec: echo "End of custom commands"

1- uncomment - exec: rails r "SiteSetting.notification_email='mailBox@yourdomain.com'"
2- use your mailbox address instead of mailBox@yourdomain.com

now ./launcher rebuild app and have fun :wink:

8 Likes

Brilliant work, thank you. This should be incorporated into official documentation. Cheers.

For beginners who don’t know where to find the containers/app.yml, here is the path full: /var/discourse/containers/app.yml

I’ve been seraching for a solution for the same problem for about 4 hours.
I agree this should be included in the documentation.
Really, please.

This post is still solving problems 5 years later. Thank you so much for sharing this.