Some themes on Meta look too similar suddenly?

Grey Amber no longer looks correct. Dark, Material Design look too similar? What is going on with the Themes on Meta? Grey Amber colour scheme gone?

Tested on Safari, Chrome & Firefox on desktop. Both logged in (for me) and anon.

6 Likes

I donā€™t encounter this issue.

4 Likes

Itā€™s odd, I can repro it as anon even on desktop in Safari, Chrome or Firefox where Grey Amber is no longer ā€¦ grey and amber, but my iPad seems fine.

4 Likes

Hereā€™s Grey Amber on Chrome on my computer:

2 Likes

On mine:

2 Likes

I encounter the issue as a visitor :+1:
And it doesnā€™t affect all the themes, as you described in your first post.

Edit: I changed a bit my theme settings in https://meta.discourse.org/my/preferences/interface, and Iā€™m now encountering the same issue as @merefield logged in as well.

Could it be related to the ā€œDark modeā€ setting in our preference? If set to ā€œDarkā€, then the regular Grey Amber wonā€™t be applied :man_shrugging:?

5 Likes

Oooh if I change it to ā€œSame as Regularā€ that solves it for time being. :+1: Perhaps Grey Amber does not have a ā€œDark modeā€ I guess?

3 Likes

Thanks for the reports!

We enabled the ā€œdefault dark mode color scheme idā€ here on Meta, which now means that all themes will use a single dark color scheme if your browser, or your user preferences, request dark mode.

Obviously not ideal that clicking something like ā€˜grey amberā€™ does nothing if youā€™re in dark modeā€¦ so weā€™ll need work out a solution for that. :eyes:

(Gonna move this to #site-feedback since we now know itā€™s specifically about Meta)

7 Likes

While weā€™re here, whatā€™s the difference between ā€œDarkā€ and ā€œThe Darknessā€? Couldnā€™t find any at first glance.

3 Likes

I had changed some site settings while we were troubleshooting a commit that broke dark mode, and Iā€™ve now switched those backā€¦ so things should be back to how they were.

No difference, Iā€™ve deleted one.

7 Likes