I was able to reproduce this once by doing the following:
- Topic was created by an admin 4 days ago
- TL0 user replied and needed approval.
- Post was approved by moderator.
- When reply was 2 minutes old, the moderator made the topic a PM.
- Moderator was invited and given access to the topic.
It seems like this may partially be related to the editing grace period expiring or the approval of the post.
Thanks @Simon_Cossar for assisting me in repro’ing this.
That being said, the behavior here feels really inconsistent and unexpected to me.
If a topic has one post by one user, mod is given access to PM when converted.
If a topic has two posts by one or more users, mod is not given access (except for the possible bug case above).
Would it make more sense if a topic is made a PM by a mod to automatically give them access as they’re probably doing this for a reason?