Sortable Admin pages

I like very much that “search by name / email” has been added to some Admin pages.

I could really benefit if some of the other Admin pages were sortable. So much so that I am looking into writing a userscript. It could be relatively easy for the Admin->Users->List (table) pages though not so easy for Admin->Logs (divs) by using jquery.sortable

Before I get too far into it however, I thought I would float the idea here in the chance that it could be considered as something to add to the Core.

2 Likes

What you want to do is unclear.

Don’t describe potential features. Describe, in plain terms, what it is you wish to accomplish instead?

All of the tables in the Admin area (think Users, Emails, Logs) are not sortable. You can filter by entering additional criteria, and that works a good majority of the time, but occasionally being able to sort a column ascending/descending is desired (did that help?).

If I could sort by Username, Email, Seen, Created and IP, it would be easier to spot similarites of the problem accounts.

6 Likes

I want to see my newest members, so i can easily tell if they’ve activated their account.

Where is sorting in the development timeline?

Thanks!

There is a new section, but I have no idea if that includes unvalidated users too…

Users are grey when they haven’t activated… if I could sort by Created, it should be pretty simple to see who needs some prodding to accept their account… (beats exporting & sorting by “active”

Alternatively, having a section for “Inactive” like we have for “Pending” would be super-clear, and prevent my accidental discovery here. but that’d be a different topic.

1 Like

The main way to handle this is via the export button on admin/users:

Any of those lists can be exported via the button into CSV format with a bunch of relevant columns, more than we have room to display on screen.

Yeah, I got tired of exporting, so now I use a postgres GUI to perform this search

SELECT * FROM users
WHERE active != 't'
ORDER by ID desc

but that’s lame too.

If you mean that you don’t plan on allowing sortable admin pages, let us know… if it’s just that it’s not high on the priority list, well, let us know that too. But telling me to export every day so I can find inactive users isn’t a user-friendly solution.

What is the issue? Do you have thousands of new inactive users per day? I am not clear.

It takes 1-2 notices to get people to bother to check, and I end up checking daily.

I would imagine that being able to sort by date-created could be useful for many reasons, and would make the task I’m carrying out simple.

I found a related feature request, and added my request here.

There is a whole subtab in admin just for showing new users. I am still unclear. Unless you are getting more than 100 new users per day?

Not asking for a new column here… was seeing if the existing columns could be made sortable.

1 Like

I apologize but I still don’t understand the issue.

So every few days, visit admin, users, new and look for the grey users that are not activated as that is a special concern of yours.

This technique should work fine unless you are getting 40+ new users per day… I don’t understand what the problem is?

1 Like

I think the problem is, that he has to scroll through them to find the different colored rows. Rather than pushing sort by date created and they are at the top. Scrolling through the list daily would be enough to make me not want to do it (and thus eventually have accounts deleted that were supposed to remain existent).

The /admin/users/list/new view is sorted by create time.

There’s no scroll loading (different issue, not opposed to scroll loading more, but that’s not what is being requested here) so you are only ever looking at the last 100 new users.

That’s why I keep saying that unless you are getting tons of new users every day , this view should work fine… plus export is there as well on top of that… :pensive:

(for reference the new view on meta spans 12 days with the default 100 records returned. Since non-activated accounts are deleted in under 12 days anyway by default…)

Sorry, that oversight was mine. :frowning: Sad thing is, I even opened our instance and didn’t notice that…

I will say that I still continue to find the need to sort/filter these lists, and exporting the data just requires more time than what I can spend on it. As you never really know when the job will complete, so you sort of have to have time to wait versus live feedback.

2 Likes

Yes, using sorttable with jQuery in a custom alpha Firefox extension. I find it extremely helpful.

Sorting by “Visits” to bring the "0"s to the top groups all the non-confirmed accounts (from the last 2+ days)

Let me express a clear wish in this thread:

I’d love to be able to sort the Users table by any of the headings.

Use case: after migration, I want to sort by number of posts read (which is set to the number of posts created) and grant the most active users from the old forum, extra privileges in the new.

3 Likes

Current problem being that the page does not display all Users.
*you can sort by username, email address and IP which is some help, though email address and IP are no longer displayed (which severely cripple moderating tasks)

If you export a CSV file you could work with it outside of Discourse

1 Like