Spoiler on images doesn't effectively protect NSFW images

Someone used a spoiler tag to blur a fun, but NSFW image.

The problem is that the image loads and displays unblurred until the image fully loads.

This kind of defeats the purpose.

Can we either have a NSFW tag that hides before fully working? Or have the spoiler tag hide content completely until after it can apply the blur filter?

9 Likes

Apparently, spoilers also don’t take effect when you click
the icon to see the post being replied to, and I’m going to guess if it
was quoted, expanding to see the full quote would have the same issue.

Yup, expanding a quote has the same issue.

3 Likes

Fixing this will require a redesign/rethinking of the way that spoilering images works.

5 Likes

Honestly large enough images with high dpi, will still be recognizable.

Just make them black.

Or aesthetically pleasing color tone that fits with the background tone.

1 Like

Couldn’t you simply div it invisible (actual display=“invisible” rather than “none” as invisible still loads the image) until the image is fully loaded and than change the visibility back on?

Applying a full-black overlay in CSS seems more effective to prevent reflows.

First, I suggest suspending the user if this is unwanted.

You should be able to override the css to make the images black if this is a regular thing on your site.

1 Like

I appreciate that thought, but this affects all images.

Imagine if the spoiler image was just a screenshot of an actual spoiler in a game or story.

At 85% scanline loaded, you can pretty much see the picture, and it doesn’t blur until fully loaded.

Thus the whole purpose is rendered ineffective.

Also, replies (the expand to show back and forward) don’t use the spoiler effect at all.

This is a bug that needs to be fixed, regardless of the content that this specific post contains.

4 Likes

I think spoiler images shouldn’t even be loaded and instead they should have a placeholder which can be clicked to load.

This would be important for actual nsfw images as even if we make them harder to see or blocked entirely the image is still downloaded and if you’re at work it could be tracked on the network.

8 Likes

I think spoilers would be more effective if they just hid the image right away and you have to click on the spoiler to view it.

Here is an example:

Text you type:

[sp]Testing this for Discourse.org[/sp]

[spoiler=Click Me For Secret]
Test.
[/spoiler]

Result:

then:

2 Likes

I would agree with this one.

Ideally, spoiler images should blur immediately, but a separate NSFW tag for images should act differently and not even load until clicked, possibly with a confirm box.

I advised a user to use

Hide Details