SSO from thinkific

any luck setting SSO from thinkific to discourse?
We are using thinkific for online courses and would love to have users create account/log in on thinkific site and automatically signed on to discourse for the community feature.

Do I need to configure anything on thinkific site or the config on discourse site will do the trick?
I read the official SSO implementation post but am still not sure what is required for the SSO URL (discuss.example.com/discuss/sso)
any help will be greatly appreciated. thank you all this is by far the best option i found.

Wondering if you ever found out if this is possible?

I am looking for an implementation as well, it seems thinkific’s documentation is for the ‘reverse’ of what we’re doing (ie we want thinkific as the source of auth truth, and they assume you have another source).

This might work for you. I think there was some snag, but can’t quite remember.
https://github.com/pfaffman/discourse-thinkific

2 Likes

Much appreciated! I actually ended up resolving this with some workarounds. Will write it up and publish the relevant code on github and link here.

1 Like

Hey @ethandrower. I’m having trouble because my solution logs in to thinkific only when the user logs in to Discourse. Since thinkific logs out when the browser closers, users have to log out and back in to Discourse to get logged in to thinkific. Did you solve that?

@pfaffman the way i did it, the user logs in to thinkific only (there is no discourse sign up/sign up process) You eliminate that by setting the SSO setting to a middleman server.

So it looks like User Clicks Login (on discourse) -> Your server to start sso process -> redirect to thinkific page to login.

There is a lot more work that goes into doing it this way, but it’s the only solution i could figure that would allow SSO from thinkific (where thinkific is the source of truth).

I started a blog post on this, and will try and finish it today, maybe it will be helpful for you.

3 Likes

Following up… did you finish this blog post? :slight_smile:

1 Like

@ethandrower Do you have any update on this? I’m also trying to set up SSO from Thinkific to Discourse and any solution you can provide would be much appreciated!

I wrote the plugin linked above; it works with some caveats (mostly that thinkific logins time out and the only way to re-login is to log out and in of Discourse). I think I know now how to write it a better way (add a route for Thinkific to hit which will initiate the login). If you’ve got a budget please contact me.

1 Like