Suggestion: Get notifications when people vote in polls

It would be nice if there was a way to “subscribe” to polls, so that you could get notified when anyone votes in the poll. While I certainly wouldn’t want to get notified about every poll I create, occasionally there is one important enough that I want to track it closely.

Thoughts?

4 Likes

If you are staff you can set a topic reminder to remind you to come back to it. You can also bookmark the post.

I am not a staff member, and I know I can bookmark the post. I just think a more active notification system would be better.

Anyone else have an opinion on this idea?

I like the concept…

It would be very neat to at least receive notification when the poll closes because that’s the time one wants to act based on the results.

And since non-staff users have no access to topic timers, perhaps a sidekiq job for all registered polls that have an end date would do the trick—like there are jobs for closing topics on timer, only that this would be set automatically on poll creation based on close date.

Is this something that would be useful and easy to add?

2 Likes

We are in the middle of re-doing the bookmark feature to also include reminders.

In the case of the poll plugin it makes sense to add an option for “remind me when the poll closes” if the post contains polls @martin it is a v2-3 thing but would be a cool feature.

8 Likes

That would be great, along with the “remind me when I’m at my desktop” this lands in the more action-oriented rather than time-oriented reminders. I’m wondering if there are more cases like this that will come up too?

2 Likes

Probably, this specific one fits wonderfully with zero downsides really.

Notify on close is a bit more “on the fence” kind of things, maybe it is interesting if something is assigned.

Notify on edit can be quite interesting and was asked for quite a few times in the case of wikis, if a post is a wiki and you bookmark it this would make lots of sense to add.

5 Likes

One could argue that if you bookmark a post you should get a notification when it’s edited, regardless of whether it’s a wiki.

Just to mention a specific use case: We use polls for selecting books to read for a book club. Many people would probably benefit from getting an immediate notification when the results are in, since some people forget to check back later.

2 Likes