Summarize This Topic button

I just came across the bitcoin.pub and saw that big topics have this summarize button. Is this a default feature or plugin (the reading time especially) like the way he has this? And exactly when is this available, what are the requirements?

Is there a guide for this feature/plugin?

It’s a default/core feature and a topic need to have at least 50 posts as far as I know. It shows most liked posts in a topic.

4 Likes

This is accurate but it’s a composite value, not just likes but replies, read time, bookmarks, etc

3 Likes

I figured there should be an algorithm, totally makes sense.

What took my interest is the read time, has there been thoughts of enabling this on a per-topic basis? It seems very convenient for users to actually see the read time of a certain topic. That way they can decide if they read now or read later - or even maybe get a reminder if they somehow can mark the post as “read later” for example. I’d be happy to post this in #feature if it’s non existent.

2 Likes

I found a setting “summary score threshold” with a description: “The minimum score required for a post to be included in ‘Summarize This Topic’”. Does anybody know how is this value counted? By default 15 is set.

1 Like

Good day!

How do we enable the feature “Summarize This Topic” on all topics?

We are not seeing a “Summarize This Topic” button on some of our topics, even if the topic is very long and exceeds all of the the criteria below:

2 Likes

I don’t see any “Summarize this Topic” button either. Is it still a feature?

…then it shows a bunch of links, but no “Summarize this Topic” button.

1 Like

The button still exists, you can see it in this topic : Events Plugin 📆

If you changed some settings recently, you probably need to wait a few days. If you have a custom theme, it may hides this button, you can try yourforum.com/safe-mode to deactivate your theme and check if it appears

You can activate the summary locally on every topic, it may help to check what posts meet the criteria : https://meta.discourse.org/t/summarize-this-topic-button/132790/?filter=summary

3 Likes

Cool, just add “?filter=summary” after a topic url.

Is there a sidekiq job I can kick so I don’t have to wait?

Edit- nevermind, I see it now:

2 Likes

Note that if you have disabled likes summarize won’t appear as it requires likes to function.

1 Like

Are there any plans to allow users to specify a timeframe for the topic summary? For example, an end user could possibly want to view the topic summary from the last month’s posts.

1 Like

No, but I think you can replicate that via advanced search, scoping your search to a particular topic, and a particular time frame.

1 Like

Here there. How did you get to that area? I can’t find an admin panel. Thanks

1 Like

It’s in /admin/site_settings/category/uncategorized

Or you can get to it in your Dashboard by clicking Settings at the top, scroll down to Other, then scroll down to summary score threshold.

2 Likes