Tactile feedback on likes

@Heather_Dudley just clarifying here.

The position of Jeff, who is our product manager and makes the call about this stuff, is that we can not invest any development time here making this a theme component or making it optional.

I guess that is option (3) out of my 2 options ;).

Your best shot here if you really really want this on your community is to make a #marketplace topic and ask someone from the community to build a theme component, it is not a huge task, probably only a few hours of work. It is technically doable in a theme component if you wish.

10 Likes

It’s strange, it used to work for me in Firefox for Android.
But now at each session it asks me if I agree to allow vibrations.
Whether I say yes or no:

• I get no vibrations
  • Next time I close and open Firefox for Android, it will ask me again

But it used to work at some point. Am I the only one like this?

Redmi 7.
Android 9.
Firefox for Android version 68.7.0, no newer versions are available at the moment.

I do have so called haptic feedback (vibrations) on keyboard and on link long press.
But no longer on those heart clicks (even if I try with highest vibration strength).

5 Likes

The new Firefox for Android, version 76, doesn’t support this API yet, so let’s see what happens when they do.

6 Likes

I wonder where to get a newer version.
Mine is from org.mozilla.firefox Firefox for Android and is the latest update.

I see there is also a org.mozilla.fenix Firefox Preview. Maybe that’s the best version? I think it does not support extensions yet either…

1 Like

Current Firefox for Android (Fennec) is not seeing any new updates for over a year, while Mozilla uses all resources on the new one (Fenix).

Discourse doesn’t support either, but when Fenix comes out we may consider supporting it, as it should be very similar to current Firefox on Desktop.

7 Likes

this seems to be the case for me as well ( moto e4, android 7.1.1, firefox 68.7.0 ) and it has been since this was introduced over on boingboing.

my phone has also been hanging quite a lot lately, and it seems most prone to do so when the vibrate notification popup happens. it’s as if its somehow eating a lot of resources, or sitting in some tight loop.

it’s fine if not much else is going on on my phone, but if i have a bunch of tabs open or other apps – then it’s almost inevitable that i click a “like”, the popup starts to happen, and my phone hangs. ( has happened twice today; reboot required. )

i’ve looked for settings to disable it permanently ( in my user profile ) but haven’t found anything.

3 Likes

It’s more likely your phone in this case. Android 7.1 is pretty old, isn’t it? Released in mid-2016.

1 Like

I’ll help with this! It’s super annoying. I don’t want vibrate, but much worse, it prompts me several times a day, and I keep having to say “Don’t Allow”! Terrible for users that don’t want it. Where’s the option to avoid that prompt?

5 Likes

Considering that,

1. Discourse don’t support Firefox on Android

2. The new Firefox for Android don’t have the permission pop-up and neither support for vibrate

I can add a feature block for Firefox v68 since it doesn’t persist the permission consent.

10 Likes

i just like old phones :slight_smile:

but, yeah – while i have gotten a couple of hangs at other times, the popup hang has been relatively consistent. ( it doesn’t happen every time, but often enough. )

tentatively, things seem more stable now that i’ve turned off all lock screen notifications for firefox. so maybe it’s some interaction with moto’s system ui and firefox, and not anything specific to discourse’s interaction with firefox.

yay! that’s awesome.

3 Likes

It would be great (yet not top priority) for Firefox for Android v68.

By the way it does update, it’s no longer 68.7.0, it’s now 68.8.1 (maybe just security updates).

I still get this popup once per session, about once a day per Discourse site, roughly:

1 Like

I am on Android 10 and latest Chrome (Pixel XL). I believe i have all sounds and vibrations disabled in system settings. How do i disable vibrate on likes on Discourse forums?

2 Likes

As a user this is a bit discouraging. I have an android 7 (I know, old phone) and I have haptic feedback disabled for the whole device. But for some reason the nanowrimo app (which is allegedly a progressive web app that connects to the discourse forums for nano) has haptic feedback on likes. It shouldn’t be able to turn it back on when I have it off for the whole device. Was any progress ever made on this?

1 Like

Sounds like an issue with that app?

2 Likes

I have been on Android 9, Firefox for Android 68.11.0* since its release.

I didn’t have that confirm pop-up for such a long time.
But within the last week or so, I got this pop-up twice again:

Update: I am now trying Android 5.0.2, Firefox for Android 68.2.1 and it’s the same results as on 68.11.0:

I have this pop-up back…

• on meta.discourse.org and try.discourse.org Discourse 2.8.0.beta8 - https://github.com/discourse/discourse version b86127ad123ce4eede7bc861134f32d9312128d2
  • but not (yet) on community.metabrainz.org Discourse 2.7.10 - https://github.com/discourse/discourse version 626a0e207eff622296a3728002b7f6f2eb33c7c0

So it might be because of a recent change, indeed.

* I must keep this version because it’s the last one to support user scripts through add-ons/extensions like Violentmonkey and I don’t need internet without my user scripts.

1 Like
3 Likes

disable dom.vibrator.enabled in about:config

Thank you so much, @Falco, it works, indeed!
:grin::+1:

3 Likes