Tags display design on front page

I have one suggestion: can we paint it red? :wink:

3 Likes

As much as I agree that the tag glyph isn’t a fantastic icon aesthetically, it’s really easy to understand at a glance.

I wouldn’t repeat it though — just use one and the have a comma separated list

7 Likes

Looks good Sam (works better than I thought it might).

I prefer the tag glyph as well.

Also, looking thorough the list of topics now you’ll probably get a better idea of what I mentioned in my last post; that tags now enjoy a more elevated position (say, than categories) because they are in your direct line of view as you scan the list of topics. So wonder if it’s worth playing with auto-adding the category name as a tag
 or experimenting with adding more info in that line as per my mockup and including the category, topic starter, date it was started etc.

@sam
Tagging is very useful. One suggestion that I have is that if you open an old topic and add/change tags on it, that should probably bypass the “bump” to the top of the “latest” list. Otherwise, when a mod/admin goes back and tags older content, it screws up the default view for users.

I’ve been doing this on our Discourse install. Sometimes it seems to bump posts and other times it doesn’t. I’m not sure why it is inconsistent.

What about #?

5 Likes

@sam
My first vote is for the hash symbol
Second vote is for the square

The glyph seems old

The hashtag is an interesting idea. Modern, ubiquitous, and could be used to reference a tag in a post.

[Edit] Heh, forgot that hashtags in post mark headers.

Also, on my site I found that giving the tags a link-esque style (some kind of desaturated blue) helped differentiate them from titles without drawing too much attention.

1 Like

We could also do “clear” squares, since a grey square could be a category with color set to grey.

Bullets also look fine to me, personally.

We could also try just the comma between words:

This is 100% deal-breaker. No hashtags. But IMO it does work quite well, despite the fighting with markdown over

#hash
#hash

This is why we are pushing for space required to make headers in CommonMark there, # hash versus #hash.

@awesomerobot having the tag glyph repeated on many topic lines is going to create the same problem @sam alluded to about having categories underneath
 it gets very busy.

1 Like

Sorry to paint the bike shed but clear squares is what I get when an icon font fails to load or someone posts an emoji on an iPhone.

I think I am just going to keep default ultra simple, and add a site setting so people can pick “tag” glyph or Stack Overflow style box.

It makes it much easier for people to style tags however they want to and provides some reasonable defaults to work from.

3 Likes

I absolutely oppose the tag glyph. It is horrible.

2 Likes

Don’t forget that anything that matches the category bullet has to match the other possible category styles admins can choose from (adjust dynamically).

Seems to me that unless the symbol explicitly means something that people will recognize (e.g. the tag glyph or a hashtag) or is somehow related to how categories are labeled, it’d be better to go with the “nothing” option. It’s cleaner and users will quickly learn what the tags are.

Ah, basically this, nevermind.

What we decided to do is not style them at all for now, and each site can decide for themselves. I do not see a clear winner here in any of the mockups, other than a comma between the tags.

4 Likes

The only way that could happen is if the only post is the first post. Then the “someone edited the last post” logic kicks in, and since the last post is the only post is the first post

Utterly off topic for this conversation though.

Now that the bikeshed has been painted, this is what we ended up with:

tag style “simple”

tag style “bullet”

tag style “box”

You will need to be on v1.4.0beta8 +5 or later Discourse to get these options.

Simple is default.

10 Likes

Any thoughts on these?

Both of these free up the categories column (do we feel it adds enough value to take up such valuable space?)

I like this (current styling on Meta):

It quickly becomes apparent that when tags are used for something other than as a sub-sub-category but rather a unique identifier that can be applicable across multiple categories, it doesn’t need to be prefaced with a “tags:” or a glyph, because it’s plain English (or, language).

On a slightly different note, what’s up with the unique coloring? I see some tags have different colors. This seems like a new feature; I’m intrigued!

There is a secret reason tags are not totally obnoxious on metas front page:

“suppress overlapping tags in list” : Hide tags from list views, if they overlap with title

Additionally I have been nuking some totally pointless tags, like “showcase” that had one topic. Medium term I don’t think I even want TL0 and TL1 tagging stuff on meta.

The magic styling was added manually to our staff tags: “A list of tags that can only be applied by staff members”

Go ahead and try to tag something with “planned” :slight_smile: or try removing that tag.

6 Likes

Was there any consensus on this? Am trying to figure out how to embed a tag in a post. Say I want provide a link that will open a page with all posts with that tag is there a shortcut way to do it?

The hash I believe is used to link to topic categories.

You mean like #tagging?

You mean like #tagging::tag?
3 Likes

For example I want to embed a link to pull up all
Posts that are tagged with the tag ux , is there a way to do that?