Temporary posts

Feature name

Temporary post

Feature description

Can I post something that will be removed according to the time I set.

ui/ux

descriptive image:

I can select a period of time that the post will be removed, after 10 minutes, after 1 year or after 1 day or after 1 month etc.

Why is this feature important?

1. Social networks like Snapchat use this feature to make users’ photo and video experience unique. A site like Pastebin uses this feature to erase the registry of shared files. Discourse is very interesting software, software for people who like a community forum. This feature is interesting as many forums have not yet implemented something like this - this feature of temporary posts.
  2. With temporary posts you give the user more freedom to post and delete what he thinks doesn’t make sense anymore is there, posted.
  3. GDPR does not specify a time frame for which we can keep data. But she (the Law) says something like that:

"Data must be stored for the shortest time possible . That period should take into account the reasons why your company/organisation needs to process the data, as well as any legal obligations to keep the data for a fixed period of time (for example national labour, tax or anti-fraud laws requiring you to keep personal data about your employees for a defined period, product warranty duration, etc.).

Your company/organisation should establish time limits to erase or review the data stored.

By way of an exception, personal data may be kept for a longer period for archiving purposes in the public interest or for reasons of scientific or historical research, provided that appropriate technical and organisational measures are put in place (such as anonymisation, encryption, etc.).

Your company/organisation must also ensure that the data held is accurate and kept up-to-date."

1. About this fact, I thought it would be interesting for Discourse to offer the temporary posts feature for this purpose.

optional resources

1. Schedule posts in draft mode to be deleted. With this feature, users can remove all draft posts for a set time, maybe 10 minutes, 1 year, 1 day, etc.
  2. Schedule posts that have been published to be removed. With this feature, users can remove all published posts for a set time, maybe 10 minutes, 1 year, 1 day, etc.
resource overview and its ramifications
  1. This will allow posts to be stored in the shortest possible time as per the GPDR. In other words, the user has greater freedom over the posts he has made - I mean, I can exclude for a period of time what is a draft and what is published.
  2. Administrators and moderators are allowed to tolerably control posts in accordance with a security policy or good practice such as Compliance. But on the other hand, users have rights to remove things that have already been published or not yet published. They even have the right to create temporary posts with this similar purpose.

Notes

1. I didn’t find a plugin or even any questions or resources that were something like this.
  2. If you know of anything or can help, I would be delighted to receive your feedback.

reference

No, but you can easily do this with topics. Set a topic delete timer on the topic. Easy peasy lemon squeezy yeezy jeezy.

Per post there is no such option that I’m aware of.

3 Likes

My idea would be to create temporary posts. So I made the request for this feature. Because I can’t think of any plugin that does this.

Per post there is no such option that I’m aware of.

My idea would be temporary posts. My idea is about this. You’re right

I hope to clarify a few more points that I hadn’t thought about at the beginning when writing this feature. I thought of other points of view that may be against or in favor of the idea I had earlier.

1. An interesting case of having temporary posts would be this:
    Let’s say you use a system like Discourse to manage customers within your company. For example, clarifying doubts about your product with these customers.
    • Let’s say the conversation for each client is very specific and confidential. One way to do this would be to create temporary posts. When the conversation ends, the post is deleted immediately or for a time that you or the customer must set, as the conversation is confidential. When we say that the conversation is confidential, we can be talking about commercial proposals, for example: - This fact happens a lot in brand exclusivity contracts, where artists cannot say which brands they are sponsored.
    • Therefore, I believe that the resource “temporary post” can somehow contribute to the preservation of a certain reliability.
  2. Another interesting case I reported about temporary posts would be to give users the possibility to control their posts. I had mentioned this fact related to GDPR, which says that data should be stored for a shorter time. In addition, I mentioned possible social networks that implement this temporality feature, such as Snapchat, as well as in the case of Pastebin.
  3. I believe these 2 cases are very interesting to give some validation to the central idea, which is the temporary posting.
  1. Set a topic delete timer on the topic. Easy peasy lemon squeezy yeezy jeezy.
  • This idea is very interesting. But how would I do that?

You’d need to be staff to set a topic delete timer, I believe. Not sure if TL4 allows that…

1 Like