Theme Confusion

Hi,

a couple of thoughts.

I’m trying (very slooooowly), to create a sidebar component, I want it to be detached from .wrap floating to the left. I still have a lot to learn, been downloading components to see how things work.

So, the developer in me wonders why code added to body displays under the footer? That’s a bit of a culture shock since for the last 20+ years, code added to body would display above the footer, and if floated or displayed, it would sit to the left.

How would I add a detached sidebar?

Thank you, Lee

3 Likes

Bear in mind Discourse is a web app dynamically rendered by EmberJS

This might be of interest:

5 Likes

Can you share how you’ve been trying to add your customization so far? is this added via the admin/customize interface? a plugin outlet in a remote theme? something else?

3 Likes

Yes, I did try your item, it’s a great component, but I’m wanting to separate the sidebar from .wrap, unless of course I’m missing something really simple - there isn’t even a plugin-outlet position for a sidebar.

Thank tho, Lee

1 Like

are you using this useful component?

@awesomerobot, lol

I don’t have anything to show atm because I can’t get the sidebar to display on the left, mainly because there isn’t a “sidebar” position, annoying that something so simple can’t be implemented.

meta uses the closest match to what I’m wanting to achieve, but to include custom features/functionality, not the user sidebar.

I’m using the Plugin Outlet Locations Plugin.

I’m wanting something similar to my personal wiki;

Thank you, Lee

@Lilly

Yes I am using plugin outlets

Thank you, Lee

1 Like

@Lilly , @awesomerobot,

does this mean I’d need to create a new plugin-outlet position, or isn’t this possible?

thank you, Lee

why not just create a custom menu section in the existing sidebar using our inbuilt way? Just click the “+” sign at the bottom of the existing sidebar to create a new menu section:

You can make it for yourself only or global for all users (if you are admin)

Also, there are plugin outlets at top and bottom of sidebar:

You can see that I have a custom menu section called “Lillys Stuff” that is collapsed.

2 Likes

Mmmm, @Lilly

well, I’m using the main sidebar as a header dropdown to accommodate a custom sidebar.

I see your point, but still …

Your suggestion will mean adding to the current sidebar and not create a custom sidebar.

I have tried @merefield 's component and sidebar right blocks or whatever it’s called, but still they’re tied to the main body content, great components, both, but not what the client wants.

Thank you for your great support, btw. :100:

I guess what you’re saying is this isn’t achievable?

Lee

1 Like

Can you describe the use case your client wants - do they specifically want the navigation menu in drop-down mode instead of sidebar, along with a separate custom sidebar for other links?

For custom menu sections, I also have 2 theme components that can allow displaying them to different user groups.

A separate sidebar with the ability to add various features, e.g. twitter embeds, YouTube links, and wiki snippets - the client is happy to add html to the sidebar, if that’s the only option.

How much realistically would a developer at Marketplace @merefield, charge to create this for me?

Thank you for the discussion @Lilly , Lee

It can vary by developer and project. My advice would be to post a new topic in Marketplace describing your use case and some detailed requirements, with invitation to contact you with estimates or for more info.

Just a few points about Bars I shared:

• you can have a left Sidebar
  • it comes with html capability out of the box (you can have several html widgets)
  • you can show additional Components on the sidebar which you can either copy from elsewhere, make or co-opt

I’m not sure you’d want it to “float” as that suggests it covers content? But you can additionally add CSS to style it as you see fit.

I’ve kind of solved most of the problems you talk about?

What am I missing?

Yes I can help you with the Components if you need me and we can discuss any engagement in a PM.

3 Likes

Robert,

I’ll give your component a more extended look over.

Noticed in your screenshot that “Tags,” - useful and gameloops displays how I’d like, at this point I’m only able to display “K” on the theme. What theme are you using?

I’m not sure you’d want it to “float” as that suggests it covers content? But you can additionally add CSS to style it as you see fit.

I’m using Bootstrap grid.

Thank you, Lee

1 Like

This is commercial work, I’ve PMed :slight_smile:

1 Like

@merefield - getting somewhere now, it’s not quite there, but I have something I can realistically work with.

Only need to resolve the widths and I have something I can present, phew!!

Thank you, you’re a star.

Regards, Lee

2 Likes

So finally 15 hours later I finally have it.

And hidden on mobile;

A massive shoutout to @merefield - and for the incredible support by @Lilly and @awesomerobot

Admins can close this post now.

Thank you, Lee

3 Likes