Title has already been used (in a secure category)

The duplicate topic title check doesn’t take into account whether the original title is that of a topic in a private category and it probably should.

4 Likes

Whether a topic has permissions (through the category) or not doesn’t make it eligible to not be a duplicate topic title.

If it is a PM, that’s a different matter.

I’d argue that it should. What is the rationale behind the rule?

Slug / title duplication, essentially. It’s been this way by design since inception in 2013.

That’s the logic but it’s not really solid a rationale IMO… what are we trying to fix or avoid with the rule?

Why is it suddenly a problem if it’s been this way since 2013 :thinking:

I’d like to see 3-4 reports of problems from customers before proceeding. I don’t take action on a sample size of one.

Because it makes no sense for a user that can’t see the other duplicates. They are forced to make up a title just to avoid a rule.

Fair enough that we don’t take action at this point but it still needs to be logged (in case 2 more come in).

5 Likes

Well, I’d argue this is kinda correct, in the same way that if your password is a duplicate then you shouldn’t really be allowed to use it, even if other people have that password as well.

The potential confusion between

http://discourse.example.com/t/upgrading-discourse/8922
http://discourse.example.com/t/upgrading-discourse/7451

… is substantial.

One has security implications and the other is just plain confusing…

But all good. Let’s leave this here for posterity with no action required right now.

2 Likes

The only place where slug duplication is really material is for SEO. If one resides in a secure category and we’re always talking about the less secured topic being created second, then surely this isn’t going to be a factor?

Hello, this is posterity. We’re creating a number of private categories, each with the same topics in them - but we’ve run up against this issue. Is there any way we can work around it?

Enable duplicate title support in site settings if you need that.

4 Likes