Topic Stopwatch

Thanks for posting the issue :slightly_smiling_face:

So the goal behind this CSS is to hide a tag from non-staff users while still making it accessible through code. Because of this, you will need to turn off the “Tags are visible only to staff” option for the tag you are associating with the topic stopwatch for now, otherwise only staff-users will see the stopwatch. Again, this is not ideal, but it’s the best way I know how to handle it given current limitations.

So with the following CSS, the tag should be hidden where it needs to be, so long as the tag is not the first in a list of multiple tags. (You should replace the previous CSS with this as I fixed a scoping issue):

.tag-tagname {
    display: none;
}
.staff .tag-tagname {
    display: initial;
}

.discourse-tags .discourse-tag.simple:after, 
.list-tags .discourse-tag.simple:after {
    display: none;
}
.discourse-tags .discourse-tag.simple:not(:first-child):before, 
.list-tags .discourse-tag.simple:not(:first-child):before {
    content: ", ";
    margin-left: 1px;
}
.navigation-topics, .category-forum {
    .discourse-tag.simple, 
    .discourse-tag.simple:visited, 
    .discourse-tag.simple:hover {
        margin-right: -4px !important;
    }
}

There is also a little script that needs to run to keep the tag from displaying on the tags page for non-staff users. You can place the following in the </head> tab of a theme:

<script type="text/discourse-plugin" version="0.8.18">
    api.onPageChange((url) => {
        if(url === "/tags" && $(".staff").length === 0) {
            $(".tag-tagname").parent().css("display", "none");
        }
    });
</script>

Remember to replace “tagname” with your tag’s actual name. There’s one in the script now too. I think this should get you were you want to be, but please continue to test things for any odd side effects. I should have caught the most obvious ones with the code in this post.

Let me know if I need to clarify anything. :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

Thanks you @tshenry. Appears to be working well.

No problem :grinning: Let me know if you find any areas that need fixing.

There’s one minor side effect with the advanced search where you can use tags as a search option. When a list of tags drops down, the tag name is hidden, but the number of uses continues to show, taking up a row in the list. I’m playing around with a way to handle it, but hopefully that isn’t too big of a deal.

This CSS workaround is hopefully a temporary solution.

2 Likes

This may be a stupid question. How do non staff members tag a post? As a staff member, I see the following:

However, when I log in as a non staff member, I don’t see this option available. Note that I’ve tried adjusting the min trust level for tagging to 0, and still doesn’t seem to be working.

Hmm, based on your description and screenshots, it looks like you want a non-staff user to be able to tag another user’s topic? If a non-staff user wants to edit another user’s topic title, category, and/or tags, they need to be at least TL3 (regular), and the site setting, trusted users can edit others, must be checked.

They should be able to create/edit/add tags to their own topics as they are composing them and after they have been posted if the, min trust to edit post, and possibly a few other editing settings are set to allow it.

I could be misunderstanding the scenario, so let me know :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Yes, this is exactly what we’d like.

Is there a way to change this setting to lessen the trust level requirement to say TL1 or TL2? I suppose a workaround here is to edit the requirements to achieve a TL3 to something less. It would dilute the credibility of trust levels however…It would be nice to allow members or TL2 to be able to edit posts (and tags).

I’m not aware of a way to adjust the trust level requirements for that specific setting. You could set the default trust level setting to TL3, but I wouldn’t recommend that as it’s putting a decent amount of power in every new user. You could propose the addition of a setting for the trust level of the trusted users can edit others setting in #feature.

Unfortunately, that’s all I can think of for now.

1 Like

This theme has been updated! Here’s what’s new:

• I’ve “widgetized” the code, hopefully making for a better implementation overall
  • Added a new setting to toggle whether to display topic stopwatches on mobile
  • The stopwatch is now left-justified on mobile
  • Fixed the odd display behavior when editing the topic title, category, and tags. There’s no more need to refresh the page to get it to display again

Additional Notes: the topic stopwatch is slightly less responsive in design due to the changes, but this shouldn’t be noticeable unless you’ve made your browser window very small. At that point, you may see a little overlap with the tags. If this becomes an issue, please report it. I’d be more than willing to add more responsiveness if needed.

Please let me know if there are any issues after updating!

8 Likes

Would it be possible to add something that enables you to count down from a certain amount of minutes to zero? So that people can see how much time is left?

4 Likes

Hey there :wave:

It’s certainly possible, but at the moment, I don’t have plans to add that functionality to this component, nor create a separate component for a topic countdown timer. If you or anyone else wants to build off of the existing component, you are more than welcome!

8 Likes

I would also be quite interested in getting this type of functionality. My use case would be as follows: I would like to have this be a count-down timer from some specified amount of time. For example, I would want to be able to set the timer to say, 30 minutes, and have it count-down to zero, and perhaps start counting upwards again after time expired. I envision the ‘set amount of time’ could be establish through a hidden tag, where the thread owner could establish a integer tag from say (0, 10000) and the theme would pick this up as the time to start the countdown from.

@tshenry Is something like this possible?

Sure, I think something like that sounds doable with a theme component. You and @Not-The-Foggiest could always split the costs in a #marketplace posting and try to get a developer to build it for the two of you.

6 Likes

@Not-The-Foggiest Let’s take this offline and discuss.

1 Like