MD Topic List Mobile component

md-tlm

After my work on a little redesign on the topic list pages on desktop, I worked a bit on a mobile version with some similar ideas like a bigger room for the titles of the topics, a second line with more information and a column dedicated only to the last post.

Compatibility

This theme component is compatible with the tags, featured links functions, and any functions available in the original topic-list version . Any category style presentation (bullet, bar, box) should work with this component.

The theme component has been tested on a few color palettes, it will work with light, neutral or dark themes.

Sadly, the theme component might not work with plugins that already changes the topic-list presentation like the Topic List Previews.

Let me know if you have any issue !

18 Likes

Nice Plugin. Though a general Reccommendation can we have Theme & Components list min Discourse version? I am on Stable branch but do have a test sandbox for 2.5beta. @codinghorror?

I just did a specific branch for older versions.

When installing, use the link https://github.com/iunctis/md-topic-list-mobile the advanced options and add older-discourse

You’ll know if it works if the avatars on the right column works fine. In a few weeks, when the avatars will be broken, you’ll just have to reinstall the component without using the advanced option

2 Likes

A direct comparison:

Default / Component

I like the fact that the last poster avatar is on the right.
On the default mobile layout, the big avatar just on the left of the topic title screams “author”.

Just out of curiosity, I looked at the scss file, any reason for which you didn’t use nested syntax provided by scss?

6 Likes

Tried the advanced option. Still says disabled req 2.5 beta2

Mostly because I make more mistakes with nested syntax on css :grimacing:

But I could rewrite it in a few weeks when I’m more confident with the topic list design

@Heliosurge I edited the about.json file, it should be ok now

3 Likes

Thank you for your awesome work. :beers::sunglasses::+1::sparkles:

2 Likes

I pushed a little upgrade just now. No new feature but I added the compatibility with the new thumbnails functions.

The theme component is now fully compatible with these components:

4 Likes

I love it, so clean. @Steven I was wondering if its possible too add with CSS this native feature when you click in total replies?

Not with css but the template can be corrected.

I personally only use this feature to access the first post but I shouldn’t impose my way of navigating to everyone. I’ll see if I can reinstore the feature

2 Likes

I upgraded the component to reinstore this feature, I tested on two supports but if there’s any issue let me know

2 Likes

Hey @Steven, it seems that the new messages notifications are shown twice. Once on the right of the topic title, once instead of the reply counter. Is that a bug or am I missing something here?

Very nice mobile topic view by the way. My users like it.

1 Like

It must come from the last update with the topic entrance button. I think it’ll be better to go back to the previous version. It’s not really adapted to the component.

I’ll upgrade in a few minutes

edit: Upgraded just now, let me know if it’s better

1 Like

Yes it works perfectly now, thank you it was fast :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think you shoud remove the tag emoji you added in front of the tag list:

It looks different on different os:

It may not fit the forum’s design, and it should honor desktop design choices (where there is no icon by default)

If you actually add a tag icon with tag icons component, it will look like this:

So I hid the emoji with CSS, but I think it shouldn’ be here in the first place :slight_smile:

How it is displayed on my forum now:

.md-tlm .discourse-tags::before {
    display: none;
}
.md-tlm .tl-replies {
    margin-right: 8px;
}
1 Like

Thanks for the feedback, I have major internet issues so I’m a bit behind on all discourse work.

I like the idea of the tag icon or emoji, but I’ll probably change the two theme components to a d-icon tag. At the same time, I’ll create a branch without any icon for a compatibility with the tag icons component

1 Like

Hi Steven!
It seems there are a few layout issues with the current version of Discourse.
I have created an empty theme and just included the MD Topic List Mobile Component and this seems to be indeed the problem.
Here’s the mobile view:

There’s something odd with margins/paddings.

2 Likes

Thanks, I’ll look into it right now.

I’ll try to rewrite the template to remove the maximum of custom classes too, I think it’s best with the redesign in progress in core.

edit: New commit, I did a rewrite of the template and stylesheet to make it easier to update in the future.

Let me know if you have any issue @Canapin

4 Likes

Seems perfect. Thank you!

1 Like

Can we add total topic likes and views next to the reply count?

1 Like