Topic unsubscribe via email on mobile + clicking twice

I love the new feature to be able to easily unsubscribe from a topic in emails - thanks! For instance on Meta here I subscribe to certain categories and this allows me to quickly stop seeing emails for topics I don’t care for.

That being said two things I noticed:

Button on mobile

See button misplacement on mobile:

VS correctly on desktop:

Tapping the link twice

In this situation my topic starts with a Watching status. Then when I follow the link it downgrades it to Normal. If I follow the link again (from the same email), it downgrades it further to Muted. I’m sure this is because if someone receives a notification from a topic they had listed as Normal but then wants less notifications, following the link should reduce it down to Muted. However if that is the case, I think the verbiage in the email notification would be better suited to say something more along the lines of “To reduce the number of notifications about this particular topic, click here” - since it’s actually just lowering the level of notifications, not completely stopping them.

1 Like

We’ll fix that mobile bug @zogstrip

As for the extra verbiage, I don’t think the sentence at the bottom of every single email is the best place to educate people about the minute details of the feature.

To stop receiving notifications about this particular topic, click here.

And just to clarify you are correct, the way it works is this:

• If topic notification state is anything higher than Normal, set to Normal.

• If topic notification state is Normal, set to Muted

2 Likes

Yes, but I think that what @jesselperry is saying is that the action should only be taken once per email.

1 Like

I’m kind of saying both. I would recommend:

• Change it so a link can only be clicked once per email (although the technical means to do that might not be worth it)
  • Rename the wording in the email footer. I don’t think changing text in the footer is too wordy. I just think that “to stop receiving notifications” is not an accurate statement.

But not really a hill to die on. It’s of no huge significance. Just calling out what I noticed.

I want the wording to be a little strong since we’re trying to get people to stop turning off ALL email notifications via the footer, which was their only option in all versions prior to this…

For context here’s the full email footer

To respond, reply to this email or visit https://forum.example.com/t/sample-topic-name-goes-here/12345/1 in your browser.

To unsubscribe from these emails, visit your user preferences.

To stop receiving notifications about this particular topic, click here.

I think I’ll make the link to user preferences a bit smaller too…

Well, since you can change the notification level directly from that page I don’t feel it’s worth taking the time to make it so the link can only be clicked once per email.

1 Like

Thanks for reporting that CSS issue. I just pushed a fix :cow2:

https://github.com/discourse/discourse/commit/2ad24cf5dbd679e88ab4f7cbaab704fbefeb2bb6

2 Likes