Is there a link to watch a topic I can add to the email footer?

(Dave McClure) #1

In the default email footer, there is a link to unsubscribe from a topic, which turns the volume down on a topic from “Watching” or “Tracking” to “Normal” (or from “Normal” to “Muted”), eg:

https://meta.discourse.org/t/duplicate-email-notification/40444/unsubscribe

Is there a similar route/link to set a topic status to “Watching?”

I’d like to experiment with adding a link so users who visit the site infrequently can easily follow a topic after they are mentioned or replied to directly.

(Jeff Atwood) #2

Eh, this is adding another choice that will Make Me Think. I am already unhappy we present three links there, though we did amp up the “Visit Topic” to a full blown blue button (you showed a deeper nested reply here for some reason) to make it clear that’s the default action.

(Michael Downey) #3

People don’t read the footer unless they want to think about what the receive. (Or don’t receive.)

(Dave McClure) #4

Footers are customizable now, right? I think I can try some things there and report back so we don’t have to debate it here.

I’ll just need a route to change the tracking status to watching for a topic. Is that something that would be pr-welcome?

(Dean Taylor) #5

Am I right in thinking that you would only get this email in the first place (as default) if:

• you were mentioned in a post
  • you were watching a category
  • in mailing list mode

So unless it’s that you’ve been mentioned, it seems like you are “watching” / going to receive email for the topic anyway?

(Michael Downey) #6

That’s a correct assumption: