Is there a link to watch a topic I can add to the email footer?

In the default email footer, there is a link to unsubscribe from a topic, which turns the volume down on a topic from “Watching” or “Tracking” to “Normal” (or from “Normal” to “Muted”), eg:

https://meta.discourse.org/t/duplicate-email-notification/40444/unsubscribe

Is there a similar route/link to set a topic status to “Watching?”

I’d like to experiment with adding a link so users who visit the site infrequently can easily follow a topic after they are mentioned or replied to directly.

1 Like

Eh, this is adding another choice that will Make Me Think. I am already unhappy we present three links there, though we did amp up the “Visit Topic” to a full blown blue button (you showed a deeper nested reply here for some reason) to make it clear that’s the default action.

People don’t read the footer unless they want to think about what the receive. (Or don’t receive.)

Footers are customizable now, right? I think I can try some things there and report back so we don’t have to debate it here.

I’ll just need a route to change the tracking status to watching for a topic. Is that something that would be pr-welcome?

1 Like

Am I right in thinking that you would only get this email in the first place (as default) if:

• you were mentioned in a post
  • you were watching a category
  • in mailing list mode

So unless it’s that you’ve been mentioned, it seems like you are “watching” / going to receive email for the topic anyway?

1 Like

That’s a correct assumption:

3 Likes