Traffic Dashboard Stats

You know who bots are because they only see non-JavaScript pages?

Perhaps bots for free and increase user request prices appropriately?

At the moment the only egregious bot we are seeing is actually one we are running to ensure sites are up and running, we test each site we run 3 times a minute and it adds up to quite a high number. So we will add a specific ignore for it in our custom plugin.

2 Likes

Actually I run Pingdom against a few of my Discourse instances and would benefit from a similar plugin.

Is this something that would be ā€œeasyā€ for you to open source?
If not donā€™t worry - Iā€™m sure you have enough to do.

1 Like

Actually leaning on just using a our custom header for this,

If Discourse-Track-View is false or 0 do not count. Does pingdom allow you to inject headers?

Yes:

4 Likes

This is now implemented per:

https://github.com/discourse/discourse/commit/cbe18eb0dfb8063251d2b3f18d4a326464ef3e1b

3 Likes

Soo ā€¦ how about simplifying this even more ā€¦?

Skip the traffic metric and base your pricing on # of usersā€¦

(I used dev tools to remove the traffic and just have limit on users)

1 Like

Thanks @sam! - updated my pingdom monitoringā€¦
ā€¦ not sure where to look to make sure itā€™s working - Iā€™m sure some numbers in admin will decrease over the next couple of days.

1 Like

From our experience the vast majority of traffic sites get are from anon, you have to factor that in.

2 Likes

No, I donā€™t support limiting by number of users at all. Violently opposed. The whole point of Discourse is to build a large community. What if you have 100,000 users but only 1,000 show up every day? Thatā€™s what we want to measure and charge for, and that is activity aka ā€œAPI viewsā€.

Not to mention anons as @sam noted.

3 Likes

These stats are now visualised as well!

3 Likes