Trying to setup direct delivery of incoming email and new topic by email

I am attempting to configure reply by email and create a new post by email. I would greatly appreciate any help.

I have setup the mail-receiver container and have successfully bootstrapped without error on my self hosted Discourse forum using these guides.

https://meta.discourse.org/t/configure-direct-delivery-incoming-email-for-self-hosted-sites-with-mail-receiver/49487

https://meta.discourse.org/t/configure-incoming-email-to-create-new-topics-or-group-messages/62977

I am receiving emails at my domain but it appears my emails are being rejected by the API key.

I have used this guide to setup the API key Where do I put the variables for mail-receiver? - #4 by Simon_Manning

I have configured the API key for system scope for receive email and the default values of:

• /admin/email/smtp_should_reject (GET)
  • /admin/email/handle_mail (POST)

This is an example of the contents of my mail-reciever log:

mail-qt1-f182.google.com[209.85.160.182]
<19>Jun  3 12:22:56 discourse-smtp-fast-rejection[114]: Failed to GET smtp_should_reject answer from thetarotclub.xyz/admin/email/smtp_should_reject.json: undefined method `request_uri' for #<URI::Generic:0x00005a643e1ea198> (NoMethodError)<19>Jun  3 12:22:56 discourse-smtp-fast-rejection[114]:   /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/mail_receiver/fast_rejection.rb:78:in `maybe_reject_email'
  /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/mail_receiver/fast_rejection.rb:142:in `maybe_reject_by_api'
  /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/mail_receiver/fast_rejection.rb:116:in `block in run_filters'
  /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/mail_receiver/fast_rejection.rb:115:in `each'
  /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/mail_receiver/fast_rejection.rb:115:in `run_filters'
  /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/mail_receiver/fast_rejection.rb:60:in `process_single_request'
  /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/mail_receiver/fast_rejection.rb:34:in `process'
  /usr/local/bin/discourse-smtp-fast-rejection:10:in `<main>'Jun 03 12:22:56 ubuntu-2gb-ash-1-mail-receiver postfix/smtpd[108]: NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from mail-qt1-f182.google.com[209.85.160.182]: 450 4.7.1 <replies+772ea5167ee1fabce20db67cd141a364@thetarotclub.xyz>: Recipient address rejected: Internal error, API request preparation failed; from=<cheseldm@gmail.com> to=<replies+772ea5167ee1fabce20db67cd141a364@thetarotclub.xyz> proto=ESMTP helo=<mail-qt1-f182.google.com>
Jun 03 12:22:56 ubuntu-2gb-ash-1-mail-receiver postfix/smtpd[108]: disconnect from mail-qt1-f182.google.com[209.85.160.182] ehlo=1 mail=1 rcpt=0/1 bdat=0/1 quit=1 commands=3/5
Jun 03 12:26:16 ubuntu-2gb-ash-1-mail-receiver postfix/anvil[111]: statistics: max connection rate 1/60s for (smtp:209.85.160.182) at Jun  3 12:22:56
Jun 03 12:26:16 ubuntu-2gb-ash-1-mail-receiver postfix/anvil[111]: statistics: max connection count 1 for (smtp:209.85.160.182) at Jun  3 12:22:56
Jun 03 12:26:16 ubuntu-2gb-ash-1-mail-receiver postfix/anvil[111]: statistics: max cache size 1 at Jun  3 12:22:56
Jun 03 12:43:23 ubuntu-2gb-ash-1-mail-receiver postfix/smtpd[127]: connect from mail-qt1-f176.google.com[209.85.160.176]

also at the end of the mail-receiver log it shows:

Operating environment:
HOSTNAME=ubuntu-2gb-ash-1-mail-receiver
LANGUAGE=en_US.UTF-8
MAIL_DOMAIN=thetarotclub.xyz
DOCKER_HOST_IP=172.17.0.1
PWD=/
DISCOURSE_BASE_URL=thetarotclub.xyz
HOME=/root
LANG=en_US.UTF-8
TERM=xterm
SHLVL=1
DISCOURSE_API_USERNAME=system
LC_ALL=en_US.UTF-8
PATH=/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin
DISCOURSE_API_KEY=
_=/usr/bin/env
Delivering mail sent to thetarotclub.xyz to Discourse
postfix/postfix-script: warning: symlink leaves directory: /etc/postfix/./makedefs.out
Jun 03 21:34:36 ubuntu-2gb-ash-1-mail-receiver postfix/postfix-script[85]: warning: symlink leaves directory: /etc/postfix/./makedefs.out
Starting Postfix
Jun 03 21:34:36 ubuntu-2gb-ash-1-mail-receiver postfix/master[1]: daemon started -- version 3.5.6, configuration /etc/postfix

The Discourse API key is not what I setup in the /var/discourse/containers/mail-receiver.yml

Here is my mail-reciever.yml:

## this is the incoming mail receiver container template
##
## After making changes to this file, you MUST rebuild
## /var/discourse/launcher rebuild mail-receiver
##
## BE *VERY* CAREFUL WHEN EDITING!
## YAML FILES ARE SUPER SUPER SENSITIVE TO MISTAKES IN WHITESPACE OR ALIGNMENT!
## visit http://www.yamllint.com/ to validate this file as needed

base_image: discourse/mail-receiver:release
update_pups: false

expose:
  - "25:25"   # SMTP

env:
  LC_ALL: en_US.UTF-8
  LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  LANGUAGE: en_US.UTF-8

## Where e-mail to your forum should be sent.  In general, it's perfectly fine
  ## to use the same domain as the forum itself here.
  MAIL_DOMAIN: thetarotclub.xyz
# uncomment these (and the volume below!) to support TLS 
#  POSTCONF_smtpd_tls_key_file:  /letsencrypt/discourse.example.com/discourse.example.com.key
#  POSTCONF_smtpd_tls_cert_file:  /letsencrypt/discourse.example.com/fullchain.cer
#  POSTCONF_smtpd_tls_security_level: may

## The base URL for this Discourse instance.
  ## This will be whatever your Discourse site URL is. For example,
  ## https://discourse.example.com. If you're running a subfolder setup,
  ## be sure to account for that (ie https://example.com/forum).
  DISCOURSE_BASE_URL: 'https://thetarotclub.xyz'

## The master API key of your Discourse forum.  You can get this from
  ## the "API" tab of your admin panel.
 DISCOURSE_API_KEY: 
  ## The username to use for processing incoming e-mail.  Unless you have
  ## renamed the `system` user, you should leave this as-is.
  DISCOURSE_API_USERNAME: system

volumes:
  - volume:
      host: /var/discourse/shared/mail-receiver/postfix-spool
      guest: /var/spool/postfix
# uncomment to support TLS
#  - volume:
#      host: /var/discourse/shared/standalone/letsencrypt
#      guest: /letsencrypt

This is the error I am receiving on the rejected emails:

450 4.7.1 : Recipient address rejected: Internal error, API request preparation failed

You need to invalidate those keys since you have just shown them to the world, and then generate new ones. Make sure that the key has at least mail delivery permissions.

5 Likes

Figured out that the container was not being rebuilt. Did that and the correct API key was updated to the container. Now emails are being successfully received.

Thank you.

2 Likes

Great! And you did generate new keys since you included some in your first post?

Great! I just wanted to be extra sure.

3 Likes

Yes. The old keys was revoked and new ones were created.

3 Likes