Ubuntu release upgrades

I’ve seen the docs on challenges with starting fresh with Ubuntu 20.04 LTS, and 22.04 LTS.

Has anyone done an upgrade in place of 18.04 LTS to 20.04 or 22.04?

I’m not in a rush per se, just figuring I’ll need to move to a newer release sometime between now and April.

What challenges? I don’t believe that I’ve changed my scripts and there’s not a problem. I’ll try to double check that 22.04 is working later today.

22.04 works fine, I had cause to test that yesterday.

1 Like


To be clear, I was debating Ubuntu via CLI to a higher version (either 20.04 LTS or 22.04 LTS) and there are some documents here indicating issues with SSL versions, as well as other components (ruby on rails maybe?).

Net/net I am not looking to create problems where none exist. I also don’t want to tank my discourse install if there are operating system dependencies.

Thanks for the insight.

You still haven’t said just what “some documents” are, but perhaps you’re referring to something about running a development environment?

If you’re running a standard install on docker, then you shouldn’t have an problems.

The links I found here and read include:

I did also see the notes about installing for development. I set that aside as not relevant.

Not a problem with a clean install of 22.04.1 LTS:

They did an upgrade of the OS rather than a clean install.

That’s a development install.

It looks like my not trusting running an OS update and doing a clean install isn’t quite as silly as I thought.

The other advantage of the clean install is tha tyou can fail back to the working version just by changing your DNS (or static ip, which is what I’d recommend since it’s much faster than waiting for DNS to update in most cases).

We might be unintentionally talking past each other. :smiley:

My original question was looking to do a CLI update from 18.04 to 20.04 or 22.04 directly as an option, and if there are impacts.

I understand the approach of a clean install or spin a new EC2 instance, and give a go on a backup and restore of discourse.

There’s a risk and effort trade off.

If I update in place, there is a risk my discourse environment won’t run post OS update. Then I will need to spend time figuring out what broke, and may need help from smart folks here to recover.

If I build a new environment, its guaranteed not to impact my community until cut over time. This feels like significantly more effort is required.

The happy path would be the OS upgrade just works, and discourse restarts with no issues.

Oops. Sorry.

Some of the posts you linked suggest that it’s very likely you’ll have such trouble.

There is a topic about how to move to a new server that I can no longer find. You mostly just rsync over your /var/discourse directory, install docker, and rebuild. You can save a bit of time not copying all of /var/discourse, but copying that will take much less time than waiting for an OS upgrade to fail. :slight_smile:

I like to go for the sure thing. At think point, I’ve almost spent as much time on this topic as the upgrade would have taken. :slight_smile:

Good luck, which ever path you choose!

1 Like

It’s all down to your appetite for risk and how much downtime you can suffer. Spinning up a fresh VPS, setting your instance to read-only and installing docker is going to be the smallest window for downtime. The OS upgrade is guaranteed downtime, fixing the issues will prolong that.

1 Like

Or maybe there’s another way to play it!