"Unapproved" usernames are still visible to other users

As protection against certain problematic users who are creating a lot of alt accounts with inappropriate and abusive usernames, I have turned on the setting marked “Staff must approve all new user accounts before they are allowed to access the site.”

However, even though I haven’t yet approved a particular account, that account is still listed as an option when e.g. sending messages or during “@username” autocompletes, and hence is visible to other users.

Is this intended behaviour? I would expect that unapproved accounts are kept isolated from the rest of the users.

In any case, how can I prevent these usernames from prematurely appearing anywhere in the forum before they have been approved?

1 Like

The only guaranteed way would be to use an IdP for your sign-on and manage this there.

Thank you, but that would create more problems for me than it solves. I’d much rather handle this within Discourse.

The more I think about this, the more it seems like a bug. I seem to recall Invision Power Board having the same issue a few years ago, but they have since fixed it.

I’ve had a quick check and I don’t think it should be doing that. I’ve slipped it over to bug to see if we can get that fixed up. :+1:

3 Likes

Excellent – many thanks!

2 Likes

This should be fixed by: :+1:

Let us know if you have any issues. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.