Uncategorized shows up in Categories menu and results in 404

(Alan Tan) #1

Judging from the above quote, the topic is supposed to show up but I don’t think it should trigger a 404 when an admin clicks on it.

Also, I’m seeing now that if allow_uncategorized_topics is unchecked:

• Uncategorized does not show up in the hamburger menu for staff.

Uncategorised topics not allowed, still seeing the uncategorised category
(Alan Tan) #2

Hmm ok most likely a bug. Breaks when not signed in too.

(cpradio) #3

I believe that categories page is heavily cached, so you may need to wait a day or two (or clear the cache) for it to disappear.

(Jeff Atwood) #4

I agree, I do not think this is a bug but a caching issue, categories page is heavily cached.

(Sam Saffron) #5

I think the bug is that we have the allow_uncategorized_topics option in the first place, this option is hack soup.

(Jeff Atwood) #6

Would it be better to leave it on always and have an Edit Category option to hide the category? We need that anyway for 1.4

(Sam Saffron) #7

I think the best approach is to remove all the “special” uncategorized handling stuff and just have it ship as a regular editable category, do the special suppression via css controlled by a site setting.

Every few days someone has an issue with uncategorized we got to fix the root cause instead of adding more hack.

(cpradio) #8

I completely agree with this. There is little reason to have Uncategorized behave special. Sure you always need a category to be assigned to a Topic, but if someone removes all categories from their instance, surely an error will occur when they try to create a new topic and can’t assign a category.

By default, Discourse should continue to ship with an Uncategorized category, just make it a regular one though and not special. That way, anyone could technically delete it and just create another category that would be their default or whatever.

I’ve seen a fair share of uncategory logic when I’ve been in and out and I must say, it always felt like walking on pins and needles when you had to alter code that was dealing with Uncategorized.

I have mentioned this before:

(Alan Tan) #10

I don’t think it is cached as hard refreshing and clearing the cache folder in rails didn’t help.

(Mittineague) #11

They aren’t referring to the browser cache, but the server cache.

(Alan Tan) #12

I flushed Redis and cleared the tmp/cache folder in Rails too. :sadpanda:

(ljpp) #14

What is the status of “Uncategorized”? This bug is still reproducable in the stable branch as of today. I see no use for it, and would like to get rid of it.