Unlimited amount of replies in a private message

Hey there! I was wondering would there be a possibility of adding an “unlimited reply” for private messages?

Because over in the Infinite Flight Community (which runs through discourse) all us Aussies have a private chat and it will keep ending so we have to invite everyone in again - that can get pretty annoying

So just as a little feature it would be great to have this as a feature

-Wombat

Private messages were previously unlimited - they were capped for performance reasons.

You may want to consider asking the Infinite Flight admins to make you a group private category.

6 Likes

Thanks for the reply,

That sounds interesting! I’ll try it.

2 Likes

Yes, the PM post limit is within the control of Discourse, group creation is not.

Edit: and now this reply makes no sense due to your ninja edit. Good luck with the private category request!

2 Likes

Discourse isn’t designed as a “chat” system, so yeah, if you’re using it like that you’ll end up bumping into limitations like the one you’ve found. As @jomaxro said, the cap was put in place because gigantic topics (public or private) cause performance problems, because Discourse wasn’t designed for huge topics, because they’re generally not discussion.

2 Likes

Ok, thanks everyone!

I’ll follow your advices :wink:

1 Like

You might also look at plugins that provide chat functionality.