Upgrade container - keeping config and data

Hello community,

I am feeling really bad that I didn‘t find this information, which I consider as really basic. Actually it is not about getting it up and running for the first time, but this category appears to me as closest cousin to my question.

Q: how to upgrade an existing installation through Docker?
Background: I have used the in-app „update“ feature, which killed my Discourse instance. (I could specify if required).
I am using a Debian 1-2 yrs old on a virtual host in the cloud (Hetzner).

So what I am looking for is to download a recent Docker image, build a container, but not losing my configuration (and data or course). I am not very skilled in Docker, so I do not trust myself to dive into it on my own.

I guess it is pretty simple, as this is part of the principle to use (unmutable or stateless) containers.

Thank you for your support.

Thomas

1 Like
3 Likes

Thank you!

Are the steps the same compared to first install? Do you know some how-to on these steps?

FYI: I ran the software update from inside the admin panel - this couldn’t complete and killed my installation. Rollback did not work.

Thx
Thomas

1 Like

Did you enter the three commands in the black box near the top of the topic linked above? Did something other than upgrading your site happen?

If you did a standard install, then it is the answer to your question. It is the #howto that answers it. Those instructions are also in the document that you should have followed to install Discourse.

1 Like

I did the standard installation, but this was nearly 2 yrs ago. I am sure that the upgrade is similar but not identical to the first installation (e.g. not running the config assistant, stopping containers or whatever might be different). I don‘t want lose anything. (Although I did some learning with Docker I am still feeling at noob level for this topic.)

Sorry, I don‘t know what you meant with your question „Did you enter the three commands…“

1 Like

Did you click the link in the first reply that says “How do I manually update Discourse and docker image to latest”? It includes this:

So those are the commands that you use to upgrade. You won’t lose anything.

But if it was two years ago, it’s a bit more complicated because the database needs to get upgraded too, so you’ll want to have a look at PostgreSQL 13 update. (But usually, you just rebuild twice and it works.)

2 Likes

Oops I missed that this is a link. I will work through it and your additional hints - thank you very much so far!!

2 Likes

I wanted to thank @md-misko and @pfaffman for very valuable input.

A couple of text-snippets and some important links saved in my library.

And my problem was solved with the „git pull && launcher rebuild app“ sequence. I forgot how complicated it looks, when watching the build process.

Thomas

3 Likes

Fortunately, you can usually just close your eyes. :wink:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.