Uploading a file to the web root

Where are you users coming from when they arrive at your Discourse instance?

If you use WordPress there’s a plugin which handles single sign-on and can be tweaked to provision users into groups automatically after they pay for a subscription or product. If you use Patreon or Memberful there are also plugin options there.

3 Likes

Basically, the form for invite requests is published directly at my-discourse-website.com/login page

Users need to fill out a short questionnaire and specify why they want to join our platform (we are a group engaged with community outreach, public legislation proposals etc.)

There is also a form on an inner custom page accessible by members where they can request an invite for a friend. All invite requests are reviewed by moderators.

Actually, I’ve also got a reply from Jeff Atwood with regards to adding a file to web root:

So I will be seeking other options. Thank you for the tips about Memberful and WP plugins, I’ll explore them further.

2 Likes

This is an old thread but just wanted to close the loop. Formspree doesn’t require this root level text file verification any longer.

3 Likes

So how exactly can one create a file in the web root in a Docker install? 4 years later, it’s still unclear.

I agree that creating a DNS record is much easier.

The use case is that I manage a forum and have full access to the server, but I hate having to bug the person who controls our DNS settings, and it takes them a long while to get around to it.

You can’t. The DNS method is the only way.

2 Likes