In order to show the most recent topics from one Discourse instance into another, I utilised a Zapier based integration. It takes the OP from each new topic in the category of interest and posts them as a reply in a topic wherever desired. The destination can be either the same instance or a different one.
This was extremely helpful for working this out:
- Setup Webhook in the origin Discourse instance to catch new Posts in the appropriate category.
- Posts gets much more data than Topics, which is helpful further down
- Setup Zap to catch the Webhook
- Filter out all except those which have a Post Post Number of 1 and a Post Reads of 0:
- this ensures that you only catch new topics, and you don’t pick up any subsequent edits (which will give you a duplicate post)
- Setup a user in the receiving Discourse instance with Trust Level 4 (to enable posting despite a closed topic) and ensure it has access to the desired category. Setup an API for the user.
- In the Zap, use this API to post the content into the desired topic.
- Customise the reply, to include links and the like, such as:
- Close that topic to prevent others posting.