User can apply staff tag, staff can't remove

We noticed the following:

• We set up the tag ‘featured’ as staff only (‘Tags are visible to everyone, but only staff can use them’)
  • Somehow, some users manage to still apply this tag - I’m talking to them to find out what they did to make this happen. I believe this is a bug, but it’s not the point of this report.
  • Messages with the ‘featured’ tag are caught by the system and require approval (which makes sense).
  • When a moderator or staff member goes in and removes the tag, then approves, there’s an error (see video below).

I believe that in the last step, the tag isn’t actually removed - which is what causes the error: if I temporarily make ‘featured’ a public tag again, then go into the approval queue, remove the tag and approve the post, it is saved successfully. However, when I view the post in the topics list, the ‘featured’ tag is still there.

1 Like

Added on my list to verify and fix.

3 Likes

Yes, I was able to repro this. Staff were not able to remove tags from queued topics, regardless of staff tags or otherwise. Now fixed via:

https://github.com/discourse/discourse/commit/7efdccdbc55f4166278fc8ad181ceafc509b0241

I was not able to repro this locally. Feel free to create a new #bug topic once you have repro steps.

Thanks for reporting this issue! :+1:

8 Likes