User directory feedback

Thanks for all the positive words guys. I have to admit now that I can see how many likes are received in a time period I am jealous that @codinghorror made the OP that has 18 likes when I was the one who programmed the thing! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Besides fixing some bugs with counting private topics and such, I just committed this to rename the section to “Users” and added the page title:

https://github.com/discourse/discourse/commit/4d26ef5e298251f8e5a15ff2a6c9a7d225c09ae4

19 Likes

Could you change the link so clicking on the picture opens a user card instead of taking you straight to the user profile page? This is in line with the /admin/users/list/active interface which is super handy for gaining insight into what’s going on, deleting spammers, contacting people etc.

2 Likes

Yup, you are right it should behave that way:

https://github.com/discourse/discourse/commit/c6afeb2259108d945eb32c12596391a8c06f76e0

6 Likes

So… you guys are like a rock band! @codinghorror is the front man, getting all the groupies, you’re the drummer who’s keeping everyone’s beat… and @sam’s the guitarist, usually overlooked unless he’s got a solo? :laughing:

4 Likes

Looks great! Very useful.

I’ll also mirror others’ feedback about the value of filtering by group, could be quite helpful too.

Other than that, it would be nice to search only user profiles (e.g., for a keyword of a shared interest), but that might not belong in the directory.

2 Likes

I like my own record on top and I wish see:

• read time column
  • days of visit
  • badges count

Great work guys! Really this is an awesome community’s overview

3 Likes

Yes @eviltrout I forgot about this one, we should put that in there. Read time is visible on “all time” but can’t be visible on the intervals due to technical limitations.

I guess badges is OK if we can limit it to the correct time intervals, e.g. only badges awarded in the last week, etc.

1 Like

Why are the numbers in the all time list not the same as in the profile?

2 Likes

The stats in the user directory only include publicly available data (ie. nothing from the private messages nor hidden topics) whereas the numbers in your profile include all data.

Try comparing your profile numbers while viewed as anonyous :wink:

3 Likes

Could we mention that somewhere in the user directory? Otherwise I predict lots of support requests… :wink:

Anyway, the count for replies seems to be wrong. 250 in the user directory vs. 143 in my profile.
The Replies column should be named Posts. It’s kinda confusing.

1 Like

I think the user page needs to be changed here actually, talk to @sam about that. Post technically means either first post or reply…

“This week” and “Today” views seem to be inaccurate in the user directory. On one discourse site I run they are empty, even though I am logged in currently and I know there has been activity this week, and on another there’s only two people shown not including myself or any of the people who I can see in admin/users have logged in this week. The other views seem to be fine.

On meta I don’t seem to see this problem.

Brilliant, Ive been looking at a way of creating some kind of leaderboard to encourage discussions on my small business forum and I think this is it!

Most of our users are introducing themselves and reading but not interacting as much as I’d like. This is a fantastic feature. How do I activate it?

simply update to latest tests passed

3 Likes

Ok Ive got it running. Awesome!

I’d like to be able to rename it from: /users/ to /leaderboard/ in the url, and also in the drop down change from “users” to “leaderboard”. How do I do that?

I’d also like to feature it more prominently in the top menu. It’d be good if I could add this to the top menu.

The data is updated once an hour in the background, perhaps you looked at it too quickly? Is it OK now?

1 Like

We don’t have any easy way for end users to rename URLs right now, unfortunately. You’d need a plugin that does something like this.

Speaking of which, how hard is it to modify existing Rails routes after routes.draw has already been run?

1 Like

I’m not sure, I’ve never done that.

nope - still not ok.

look at this page: https://forum.kabissa.org/users

I don’t know why these two people show up but not the others who have been using the site.