User has no option to change username?

Hi,

I have a user on our hosted solution who has reported not being able to change their username. They have provided a screenshot and there is no edit icon next to their existing username.

Additionally, they have option to delete their account, although I think this may be because they have made posts?

Things we have tried;

• I have tried elevating their permissions from basic user to member to regular, this made no difference.
  • They created a new github account and a new Discourse account, this worked as expected and a delete option was available.
  • I have tried deactivating the existing account with the issue, with them then re-activating it via the email, this made no difference.

The user is using github authentication. I can provide you with their details if required. We did have a similar issue once before regarding a Twitter user, I think one of you team had a little nose around in the database and cured something… not sure if it’s the same issue though, just feels a bit like it.

Any help would be really appreciated, kind regards :slight_smile:

There are multiple settings in Admin > Settings > Users that you will want to review.

Below are a few
username change period
delete user max post age
delete all posts max

8 Likes

Hi @cpradio, thanks for such a prompt response…

Ironically, I have recently reverted from an admin to a moderator - I can’t access those settings now… humpf…

I have had my account only two months longer than the other account in question and I have the ability to change my username, I’m guessing that the username change period is perhaps overridden by being a moderator then?

I believe moderators are allowed to change usernames

4 Likes

Hi Dean,

That probably explains why I still have the option then. I fully appreciate I could change theirs, but wanted to get to the bottom of why the user couldn’t - I wasn’t aware of the username change period setting, will see if I can get hold of an admin at our end to check… guess I should have kept my access!

3 Likes

Amongst a score of settings you’ll find if you search for “username” is username change period

It’s generally a Bad Idea to change usernames. If it’s changed, previous referrals to that user break. That’s why it’s so short.

4 Likes

Thanks for this, I hadn’t considered the linking back via tags and so on - I had explained to the user about familiarity in the community etc but of course, this is a very good reason!

I’ve heard back from one of our admins who also stated it was currently set to 3 days, so this must be what it is then.

I will go back to the user and explain and invariably update their username (they haven’t made very many posts yet, 5 I think).

I can only issue the one “solution” so will pop that against @cpradio, but thanks to all for the replies / info / prompt responses - really appreciated :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Is this still the case? cc @team

Looks like that approach works for self-hosted sites, is that correct? If so, our community is hosted by Discourse - is there a similar option for that setup?

I don’t think so, actually – I think we improved it so user renames are less traumatic.

They still aren’t recommended as a daily or weekly thing, people renaming themselves. As a once-every-few-years thing, perhaps.

1 Like

That’s great to hear! We don’t get requests often, but there is a user who’d like to change their username for privacy reasons (to hide their last name). Is it safe to say that we can do that for them without losing their post history?

2 Likes

Yes, that should be fine.

Appreciate it @codinghorror!

2 Likes

If this is the case, is it possible that we could allow username changes for an unlimited amount of time? I see setting it to 0 allows no changes ever, but if we wanted the ability to change usernames at will, could there be an option (maybe -1?) that would allow for that with out limits?

Just a thought.

Why not change the number to a large number like 3650? That’s 10 years.