User (patron) getting authorization error message

Hi @caduspa,

Run the below commands in SSH console and try the login again. Let me know if the problem persist.

./launcher enter app
rails c
SiteSetting.patreon_login_ignore_state = true
4 Likes

You are most kind. Sadly, that is above from my level of knowledge. (I’m a classic “tell me which button to push”). I’ll see if I can patch together the know how from a few searches.

1 Like

I’m having this issue on our community and just made the changes above. I’ll ask for more testing, and let you know what I find out.

1 Like

I run into this issue, but not with patreon as sign in provider. Everything else seems exactly alike though, the issue is only on mobile devices.

I’m using the OIDC plugin to authenticate through, see: OpenID Connect Authentication Plugin, to authenticate with Okta.

From the discourse error logs that I can visit at https://discourse.example.com/logs/, I find an error that is logged whenever I reproduce our issue.

I read the following article about it: https://www.sohamkamani.com/blog/2017/01/14/web-security-cross-site-request-forgery/

I’m currently not confident about what goes on, but I guess that we are loosing a CSRF token at some point using the mobile auth flow.

This also makes me suspect that SiteSetting.patreon_login_ignore_state = true is an insecure way to bypass the issue we are having.

Error message

(oidc) Authentication failure! csrf_detected: OmniAuth::Strategies::OAuth2::CallbackError, csrf_detected | CSRF detected

Note that CSRF stands for Cross-Site Request Forgery. And from googling I learned that:

CSRF attacks target functionality that causes a state change on the server, such as changing the victim’s email address or password, or purchasing something.

Error stack trace

/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/logster-2.0.1/lib/logster/logger.rb:101:in `add_with_opts'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/logster-2.0.1/lib/logster/logger.rb:52:in `add'
/usr/local/lib/ruby/2.5.0/logger.rb:545:in `error'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/omniauth-1.9.0/lib/omniauth/strategy.rb:163:in `log'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/omniauth-1.9.0/lib/omniauth/strategy.rb:486:in `fail!'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/omniauth-oauth2-1.6.0/lib/omniauth/strategies/oauth2.rb:71:in `callback_phase'
/var/www/discourse/plugins/discourse-openid-connect/lib/omniauth_open_id_connect.rb:97:in `callback_phase'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/omniauth-1.9.0/lib/omniauth/strategy.rb:238:in `callback_call'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/omniauth-1.9.0/lib/omniauth/strategy.rb:189:in `call!'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/omniauth-1.9.0/lib/omniauth/strategy.rb:169:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/omniauth-1.9.0/lib/omniauth/strategy.rb:192:in `call!'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/omniauth-1.9.0/lib/omniauth/strategy.rb:169:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/omniauth-1.9.0/lib/omniauth/strategy.rb:192:in `call!'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/omniauth-1.9.0/lib/omniauth/builder.rb:64:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/lib/middleware/omniauth_bypass_middleware.rb:30:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/rack-2.0.6/lib/rack/tempfile_reaper.rb:15:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/rack-2.0.6/lib/rack/conditional_get.rb:25:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/rack-2.0.6/lib/rack/head.rb:12:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/lib/content_security_policy/middleware.rb:12:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/lib/middleware/anonymous_cache.rb:214:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/rack-2.0.6/lib/rack/session/abstract/id.rb:232:in `context'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/rack-2.0.6/lib/rack/session/abstract/id.rb:226:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/actionpack-5.2.2/lib/action_dispatch/middleware/cookies.rb:670:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/actionpack-5.2.2/lib/action_dispatch/middleware/callbacks.rb:28:in `block in call'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/activesupport-5.2.2/lib/active_support/callbacks.rb:98:in `run_callbacks'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/actionpack-5.2.2/lib/action_dispatch/middleware/callbacks.rb:26:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/actionpack-5.2.2/lib/action_dispatch/middleware/debug_exceptions.rb:61:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/actionpack-5.2.2/lib/action_dispatch/middleware/show_exceptions.rb:33:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/logster-2.0.1/lib/logster/middleware/reporter.rb:30:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/railties-5.2.2/lib/rails/rack/logger.rb:38:in `call_app'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/railties-5.2.2/lib/rails/rack/logger.rb:28:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/config/initializers/100-quiet_logger.rb:16:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/config/initializers/100-silence_logger.rb:29:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/actionpack-5.2.2/lib/action_dispatch/middleware/remote_ip.rb:81:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/actionpack-5.2.2/lib/action_dispatch/middleware/request_id.rb:27:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/lib/middleware/enforce_hostname.rb:17:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/rack-2.0.6/lib/rack/method_override.rb:22:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/actionpack-5.2.2/lib/action_dispatch/middleware/executor.rb:14:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/rack-2.0.6/lib/rack/sendfile.rb:111:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/rack-mini-profiler-1.0.2/lib/mini_profiler/profiler.rb:171:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/message_bus-2.2.0/lib/message_bus/rack/middleware.rb:57:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/lib/middleware/request_tracker.rb:182:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/railties-5.2.2/lib/rails/engine.rb:524:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/railties-5.2.2/lib/rails/railtie.rb:190:in `public_send'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/railties-5.2.2/lib/rails/railtie.rb:190:in `method_missing'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/rack-2.0.6/lib/rack/urlmap.rb:68:in `block in call'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/rack-2.0.6/lib/rack/urlmap.rb:53:in `each'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/rack-2.0.6/lib/rack/urlmap.rb:53:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/unicorn-5.4.1/lib/unicorn/http_server.rb:606:in `process_client'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/unicorn-5.4.1/lib/unicorn/http_server.rb:701:in `worker_loop'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/unicorn-5.4.1/lib/unicorn/http_server.rb:549:in `spawn_missing_workers'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/unicorn-5.4.1/lib/unicorn/http_server.rb:142:in `start'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/unicorn-5.4.1/bin/unicorn:126:in `<top (required)>'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/bin/unicorn:23:in `load'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/bin/unicorn:23:in `<main>'
2 Likes

Can confirm we’re seeing very similar things too without using patreon to authenticate - we just use the standard oauth plugin. Only mobile users see this.

2 Likes

Here’s a brief outline of how the “state” token is used. It’s part of the OAuth2 specification, so is used for all Discourse’s social login methods, including Patreon, OIDC and OAuth2.

1. User clicks “login” on Discourse

2. Discourse generates a random string (a “state token”), and stores it against the user’s browser session

3. Discourse redirects the user to the auth provider, passing along a copy of the state token

4. User logs in, and is redirected back to Discourse. The provider passes back the state token

5. Discourse checks that the received state token matches the one it stored against the user’s browser session earlier. If they do not match, this is considered an CSRF attack.

So, the most likely way this can break in practice, is if the user starts/ends the process in a different browser session. On a desktop this is pretty much impossible, but mobile operating systems tend to have different browser sessions for PWAs vs. browsers vs. native apps, which could be causing this issue.

Do you know whether these users are using the Discourse app, or an ‘installed’ PWA?

8 Likes

Thank you for writing down the steps regarding the state @david!

I’m experiencing this with the OIDC plugin, that in turn auths with Okta as IdP, that in turns delegates auth to Azure AD v2.0 OpenID Connect. And it only happens on IPhone as compared to Android devices I think (but this needs to be confirmed further, I have not tested it myself on Android).

It also happens on IPhone no matter if I utilize Safari och Chrome. I have not installed an Discourse app, and I have not utilized discourse on my mobile as an webpage-application (PWA?) but instead simply utilized my Chrome app and opened up my deployed discourse.

1 Like

I’d love to get to the bottom of this, but so far I haven’t managed to reproduce the issue. It’s certainly interesting that you’re seeing this problem with OAuth2 and OIDC, which suggests this issue is not specific to patreon.

@simonv3 and @consideRatio do you have a consistent way to reproduce the issue? And if so, would it be possible for me to access the site in question? (Feel free to PM me if you’d rather not make it public)

3 Likes

I have a feeling that this issue could be related to this Safari bug

Fixed Same-Site Lax cookies to be sent with cross-site redirect from a client-initiated load

It was fixed in release 77 of their technology preview, so hopefully it will be part of the next iOS/macOS release.

6 Likes

I’ll keep an eye out for similar problems being reported. It hasn’t been reported in a while, but that doesn’t mean it’s not being experienced - probably just that most people know their way around it by now.

4 Likes

Heh, just had it reported today. I’ll let them know that maybe it’s a bug in iOS, and ask them if it still happens if/when they upgrade.

3 Likes

@simonv3 and @consideRatio, are you still seeing this error? I am hoping that it has been mostly solved by iOS 12.2, but there may still be some outstanding issues.

2 Likes

I had two issues, one with my OIDC provider, and one resolved with iOS 12.2 :wink:

2 Likes

Hey all,

We just had this issue pop up with a user and apparently it happened in all of their mobile browsers. Then when they refreshed the page it seemed to work fine.

We’re using Auth0, and here is their report:

Ok so the behavior is really getting odd here! I was just able to login to the forum successfully on my laptop, using ANY browser - firefox, chrome, and safari all worked just fine. Then on my mobile device - NONE of them worked. Cannot log in with Firefox, nor chrome, nor safari. There should be a bunch of failed requests from 9:57AM EST today.

The error message I got for each browser was “Sorry, there was an error authorizing your account. Perhaps you did not approve authorization?”

AND THEN, I went back to each browser, and tried to login again, and when I clicked “Login”, the Auth0 dialog that came up was actually different. Since I had just logged in via Auth0 a few minutes ago, it recognized me and said “Do you want to login with again?”, and I just clicked through, and then I got into the forum! This happened on all 3 mobile browsers! So I am now logged in with my phone, so technically my issue is resolved, for now.

However, I think that the Discourse-Auth0 connection is slightly broken on mobile. On my laptop, Auth0 pops up in a separate window, and always works. On mobile, Auth0 does not come up in a new window, the same window just redirects to Auth0 and back - so there is a separate flow for mobile with Auth0. The first time I try Auth0, it never seems to work on mobile. But if I try again and Auth0 already knows who I am, then the handoff works just fine!

If you’re looking to debug it, I’d check out the logs for the timestamp above to see what errors show. But also maybe there’s a way to configure Discourse/Auth0 to have Auth0 use the same flow on mobile as it does on web? Or something like that. But then again, if I’m the only one with the issue then maybe it was also a weird cookie issue!

We do have an error message at that exact time which is this:

(oauth2_basic) Authentication failure! csrf_detected: OmniAuth::Strategies::OAuth2::CallbackError, csrf_detected | CSRF detected 

(oauth2_basic) Authentication failure! unauthorized: OmniAuth::Strategies::OAuth2::CallbackError, unauthorized | Authorization Extension: Blocked event loop
12 Jul 4:19 pm
Job exception: post_id
12 Jul 10:23 pm
(oauth2_basic) Authentication failure! unauthorized: OmniAuth::Strategies::OAuth2::CallbackError, unauthorized | user is blocked
13 Jul 10:31 pm
(oauth2_basic) Authentication failure! csrf_detected: OmniAuth::Strategies::OAuth2::CallbackError, csrf_detected | CSRF detected
Su 8:59 am
6:57 am

/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.6.0/gems/logster-2.3.0/lib/logster/logger.rb:110:in `report_to_store'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.6.0/gems/logster-2.3.0/lib/logster/logger.rb:101:in `add_with_opts'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.6.0/gems/logster-2.3.0/lib/logster/logger.rb:52:in `add'
/usr/local/lib/ruby/2.6.0/logger.rb:543:in `error'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.6.0/gems/omniauth-1.9.0/lib/omniauth/strategy.rb:163:in `log'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.6.0/gems/omniauth-1.9.0/lib/omniauth/strategy.rb:486:in `fail!'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.6.0/gems/omniauth-oauth2-1.6.0/lib/omniauth/strategies/oauth2.rb:71:in `callback_phase'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.6.0/gems/omniauth-1.9.0/lib/omniauth/strategy.rb:238:in `callback_call'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.6.0/gems/omniauth-1.9.0/lib/omniauth/strategy.rb:189:in `call!'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.6.0/gems/omniauth-1.9.0/lib/omniauth/strategy.rb:169:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.6.0/gems/omniauth-1.9.0/lib/omniauth/strategy.rb:192:in `call!'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.6.0/gems/omniauth-1.9.0/lib/omniauth/strategy.rb:169:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.6.0/gems/omniauth-1.9.0/lib/omniauth/strategy.rb:192:in `call!'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.6.0/gems/omniauth-1.9.0/lib/omniauth/builder.rb:64:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/lib/middleware/omniauth_bypass_middleware.rb:30:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.6.0/gems/rack-2.0.6/lib/rack/tempfile_reaper.rb:15:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.6.0/gems/rack-2.0.6/lib/rack/conditional_get.rb:25:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.6.0/gems/rack-2.0.6/lib/rack/head.rb:12:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/lib/content_security_policy/middleware.rb:12:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/lib/middleware/anonymous_cache.rb:214:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.6.0/gems/rack-2.0.6/lib/rack/session/abstract/id.rb:232:in `context'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.6.0/gems/rack-2.0.6/lib/rack/session/abstract/id.rb:226:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.6.0/gems/actionpack-5.2.3/lib/action_dispatch/middleware/cookies.rb:670:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.6.0/gems/actionpack-5.2.3/lib/action_dispatch/middleware/callbacks.rb:28:in `block in call'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.6.0/gems/activesupport-5.2.3/lib/active_support/callbacks.rb:98:in `run_callbacks'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.6.0/gems/actionpack-5.2.3/lib/action_dispatch/middleware/callbacks.rb:26:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.6.0/gems/actionpack-5.2.3/lib/action_dispatch/middleware/debug_exceptions.rb:61:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.6.0/gems/actionpack-5.2.3/lib/action_dispatch/middleware/show_exceptions.rb:33:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.6.0/gems/logster-2.3.0/lib/logster/middleware/reporter.rb:30:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.6.0/gems/railties-5.2.3/lib/rails/rack/logger.rb:38:in `call_app'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.6.0/gems/railties-5.2.3/lib/rails/rack/logger.rb:28:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/config/initializers/100-quiet_logger.rb:16:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/config/initializers/100-silence_logger.rb:29:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.6.0/gems/actionpack-5.2.3/lib/action_dispatch/middleware/remote_ip.rb:81:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.6.0/gems/actionpack-5.2.3/lib/action_dispatch/middleware/request_id.rb:27:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/lib/middleware/enforce_hostname.rb:17:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.6.0/gems/rack-2.0.6/lib/rack/method_override.rb:22:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.6.0/gems/actionpack-5.2.3/lib/action_dispatch/middleware/executor.rb:14:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.6.0/gems/rack-2.0.6/lib/rack/sendfile.rb:111:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.6.0/gems/rack-mini-profiler-1.0.2/lib/mini_profiler/profiler.rb:171:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.6.0/gems/message_bus-2.2.0/lib/message_bus/rack/middleware.rb:57:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/lib/middleware/request_tracker.rb:163:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.6.0/gems/railties-5.2.3/lib/rails/engine.rb:524:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.6.0/gems/railties-5.2.3/lib/rails/railtie.rb:190:in `public_send'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.6.0/gems/railties-5.2.3/lib/rails/railtie.rb:190:in `method_missing'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.6.0/gems/rack-2.0.6/lib/rack/urlmap.rb:68:in `block in call'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.6.0/gems/rack-2.0.6/lib/rack/urlmap.rb:53:in `each'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.6.0/gems/rack-2.0.6/lib/rack/urlmap.rb:53:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.6.0/gems/unicorn-5.4.1/lib/unicorn/http_server.rb:606:in `process_client'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.6.0/gems/unicorn-5.4.1/lib/unicorn/http_server.rb:701:in `worker_loop'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.6.0/gems/unicorn-5.4.1/lib/unicorn/http_server.rb:549:in `spawn_missing_workers'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.6.0/gems/unicorn-5.4.1/lib/unicorn/http_server.rb:563:in `maintain_worker_count'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.6.0/gems/unicorn-5.4.1/lib/unicorn/http_server.rb:293:in `join'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.6.0/gems/unicorn-5.4.1/bin/unicorn:126:in `<top (required)>'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.6.0/bin/unicorn:23:in `load'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.6.0/bin/unicorn:23:in `<main>'

info
    backtrace
    env

Debug
Info
Warning
Error
Fatal

So for us I think this probably sounds like a combination omni-auth / auth0 bug? I’ll try to take it to Auth0 as well to see if they have any insight into it, cause it seems to be triggered by a different state of Auth0 / discourse combination only on mobile.

I haven’t asked the user what version of iOS they’re running.

2 Likes

Hi Simon - thanks for the info

It’s important to note that, on iOS, all these browsers are the same. Apple does not allow third-party browser engines, so chrome/firefox are simply skins around safari.

If you are able to find out, that would be useful. If it’s earlier than iOS 12.2, then they might be seeing the earlier iOS bug.

5 Likes

Yep, turns out they’re on 12.1. I’ll see if I can get them to upgrade and see if they can recreate it.

4 Likes

Can you share how did you fix issue with provider? Facing the same problem and error.

1 Like