Users link from Admin menu doesn't work

Good morning!

I’ve installed a new discourse forum and it’s working great, but there’s one bug I haven’t seen before. Brief facts: normally I’ve paid the discourse team to install it for me at Digitial Ocean. But I like Linode, so this time I finally just installed myself following the instructions at Github.

It’s on a 1GB VPS with Ubuntu 16.04 LTS. Discourse v1.8.0.beta6.

Discourse is the only thing running on the VPS.

When I click on the admin menu, and then ‘Users’ the page comes up and shows nobody. If I click on ‘Settings’ and from there click on ‘Users’ they display correctly.

Also, what’s the proper way to shut down Discourse for a server reboot? I had to issue a ‘reboot’ command last night in Linux, but didn’t know how to gracefully shut down Discourse first. Hopefully I didn’t screw anything up.

That page is heavily cached. It takes a day or two for it to fully populate via a sidekiq job.

It is not the same page as Admin > Users.

See

Also, that screenshot isn’t the Admin menu, it is the Menu. All users have that menu, the options within it may change (staff have more options).

1 Like

Some questions:

• When you load users this way, are there any errors in your Browser console?
  • Have you attempted any CSS or JS customizations on the site?
  • Any third-party plugins?

Also, for a support topic, please share a link to the forum.

I’ve never done anything to Discourse before a reboot, and I don’t think it’s necessary to do anything. One of the devs (like @codinghorror) should be able to confirm this.

Thanks for the help @jomaxro and @cpradio.

Not that it matters now, but the forum is support.outergain.com.

Last night, some other stuff started acting weird on the forum, so I rebooted the server and it’s been fine since. Was afraid the combo signified a larger issue, but glad to hear it’s just caching.

@codinghorror, if you could verify a proper shut down process, that would be awesome. And thanks for the sweet product.

1 Like

Performing shutdown -r now will properly stop all forum services, as that is controlled by the Docker container (this assumes you did a docker install – which is the only supported install).

5 Likes

awesome. so did i screw anything up? this is a brand new forum and I can wipe and reinstall worst case. i don’t want something corrupted that’s gonna bite me later.

I don’t think you did. You can check http://example.com/logs to see if there are any red flags/errors but based on what you are seeing/reporting I doubt there is.

3 Likes

Thanks man. You guys have been a huge help.