Using a certificate when Discourse is installed behind a reverse proxy

There’s no other way to have multiple sites listen on a single public IP via :443, no. It’s the nature of how the traffic is received, decrypted and identified.

Alternatively, you could just host Discourse in a $5 DigitalOcean VPS following the standard install and be done with it. I set up stuff like this all the time and even then I know which I’d pick.

3 Likes

Because I have a physical Server I could install it on. I don’t want Discourse sitting on a cloud server, but instead installed on my server.

Tried following this guide just for kicks. Basically “Unable to connect to server” no matter the URL I put in, so that’s a bust. Of course, this guide seems to assume Nginx will be installed on the same machine as Discourse, whereas the two are in separate VMs.

A thought: perhaps it would be better to install Discourse on the same VM as Nginx? I really hate what it could mean for my other VMs on the Server.

Then good luck on your quest, I guess.

What would that achieve? If you want to run a reverse proxy for multiple applications behind the same IP, how would having the reverse proxy inside the ubuntu VM be an improvement?

1 Like

Some of us like full 100% control of our data. That’s besides the point: isn’t this supposed to be a support board for those having difficulties installing Discourse, even if they’re looking to install unique setups? I have setup Discourse on 2 server before, but each was completely dedicated to Discourse and not having to go through an Nginx proxy in another VM.

I don’t know, I’m spitballing at this point. I’m really not sure what to try next (unless the Let’s Encrypt community actually understand what’s going on with my setup).

Correct, it is, and as your first post indicates, you’ve achieved that.

Your topic was renamed when it became clear the issue wasn’t related to Discourse, you weren’t having a problem issuing the Let’s Encrypt certificate to your container, you’ve chosen to implement a very custom arrangement with a reverse proxy which resides on a different virtual server within Proxmox.

The scope of the community support provided here is the Standard Install Guide which requires VPS with root level access and no other processes on :80 or :443. Your arrangement doesn’t provide that. There are guides here on meta for sites running on the same server which need to share ports, but your environment isn’t doing that either.

DigitalOcean is used as a reference because their environment lends itself well to this kind of activity. The assumption is that if you choose a more complicated environment such as AWS, Google Cloud or your own server, that you assume all of the additional complexity it introduces.

The goal of the Standard Install is to let you get to grips with Discourse quickly, it’s a very straightforward process with easily reproducible results. What you’re attempting here is neither.

Your problems at the moment aren’t related to Discourse, and the Let’s Encrypt community might be able to help with some of that, but you may have to look elsewhere for the rest.

Alternatively, if you have a budget, you can also considering posting in the #marketplace where one of the many consultants who assist here from time to time might be willing to work on this for you.

1 Like